This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

GENERATOR/CUTOUT?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DBIZZELL
Zip Code: 75763

GENERATOR/CUTOUT?

Postby DBIZZELL » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:35 am

I have purchased another cub, has three brush generator with cutout and mag, will not charge unless I points on cutout are manually engaged. Is there a adjustment fix for this, second I have two coil voltage regulator that came off my other cub will they work on three brush generator, I know alternator is the best fix, I put one on other cub, probably going to sale this one and I am on fixed income and I am the one that fixed it.
Thanks

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: GENERATOR/CUTOUT?

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:46 am

I don't recall an actual adjustment on the cutout points. A check of the repair manual may show a spec for an air gap and a place to bend the hook at one end of the spring. All that aside, the first thing to do is go over all the connections. Pay particular attention to the grounds. If the cutout isn't well grounded, it will have difficulty pulling the contacts shut.

There are voltage regulators sold to replace the cutouts. I never tried using one of the original Cub regulators and don't know how it would behave.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:19 pm

Yes, the regulators will work on the 3 brush generator. Most 6 volt generators or 3 brush generators whether they came with a regulator or a cut out. On the generators supplied with a cutout the 3rd brush was adjustable, but it was fixed position on ones supplied with regulator.To check if problem is cutout or low voltage from the generator you need an analog voltmeter. It takes approximately 7 1/2 volts from the generator to cause the cutout to close.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi,
The Cub and LoBoy parts manual shows that the Delco 6 volt generators on Cubs had 3 brushes up to during 1962, when IH changed to 2 brush gens.

The 3 brush gens are sealed.
The 2 brush gens are open, or vented, with a fan at the front, by the pulley.

The voltage regulator came out during 1950, so there were many years of Cubs that had a voltage regulator, with a 3 brush gen.

The Delco model numbers are different for a gen used with a cutout, or a gen used with a voltage regulator.
IH called the cutout a Relay in the parts manual.

1101355 is the model number of gen used with the Relay on top of it.

1100501 is a model number of gen used with the voltage regulator beside the gen on a mounting plate.
There were other model numbers of gens used after 1100501. :)

DBIZZELL
Zip Code: 75763

Postby DBIZZELL » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:26 pm

I am familiar with three brush generators I have a model A, strange thing about the numbers, one of my generators is number 1101355, so my newest cub is twelve volt and the generator is sealed with no fan, regulator. it will not charge twelve battery?
THANKS AGAIN GLEN

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:30 am

Hi,
Look at the model plate on the 1101355 Delco generator. If the paint in the background is black, it is 6 volts.
If it is red, it is 12 volts.
Sometimes the paint is faded some, or is gone.

If you meant your Cub has a 1101355, 6 volt Delco generator being used with a 12 volt battery, I don't know how it would work, I would think it would damage the gen, using twice the voltage on it.

You didn't say what year of your Cub is the 6 volt Cub, and what year is the 12 volt Cub.

IH changed the Cubs to 12 volts during 1964.
The 12 volt gens were vented, with a fan, the parts manuals shows.
IH changed Cubs to a Delco alternator during 1975.

Below are pages from Cub owner's and operator's manuals showing pics of the gens and electrical systems.
The 1st is 1947.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-33.jpg

The 2nd is 1955.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2050.jpg

The 3rd is 1965. That manual has 6 and 12 volt info, that is why there is a pic of a 6 volt battery on the page.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-26.jpg