This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

manuals

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joeandmack
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 03303
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

manuals

Postby Joeandmack » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:09 am

I recently acquired a 58 cub. Also new to this forum/group. Was wondering if people which operators manual others suggest, the 1955-1958 or the 1958-1964? Also would people suggest getting a preventative maintenance manual, and service manual as well? Trying not to buy the same information twice. Appreciate any advice, thank you.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: manuals

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:24 am

Welcome.

One more post and you can down load "free" manuals. Quick Links, upper left of this page.

Either Operator's Manual will work, they contain the same information. Preventive maintence is included in the Operator's Manual. Service and parts manuals are also found in Quick Links.

Post back then look over the materials in Quick Links.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:23 am

I probably use my PARTS manual more than anything...but then I'm working on them a lot more than using them!!

I refer to the free ones here quite a bit, because my paper manuals are at home & not very handy sometimes at the farm!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:40 am

Welcome to the forum Joe. Good luck with your project and Enjoy Your Ride.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi,
You didn't say the serial number of your Cub.
IH changed the Cub hood and grille styles during 1958 at serial number 210001.
If you want the operator's manual showing the same hood and grille as your Cub has, the 1955 Cub operator's manual shows the earlier style, and the 1959 operator's manual shows the newer style.

They have said on here that IH didn't make a new manual every year.

Below are pages from the Cub and LoBoy parts manual, showing some of the styles of hoods and grilles, and the serial numbers when they were made.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 000-11.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 000-12.jpg

IH removed info from the operator's manual in 1959, and put it in a separate maintenance manual.
The 1955 operator's manual has more info in it than the 1959 operator's manual.
The 1955 operator's manual has 84 pages, and the 1959 operator's manual has 50 pages.

Below is the 1955 Cub operator's manual.
There is a table of contents on page 1.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Below is the 1959 Cub operator's manual.
The table of contents is on page 2.

The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section has lots of info.

It shows the electrical system that the Cubs then originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The Touch Control fluid mentioned in the 1955 manual for the Touch Control, was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check and change the fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Check the fluid with the arms in the rear, or down position, the manual says.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can search for info in posts that have been made.

Page 29 is gone from the 1955 manual, so there is no info about checking and changing the final drive oils, steering gear oil, and other things.
Below are 2 pages from the manual before it, the missing info is on them, beginning at number 24.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-19.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-20.jpg

Below is the Cub and LoBoy service manual, it has lots of info. It is more for repairing, and rebuilding the tractor. It was made in the 1970's.
There is a contents beginning on page 1 of most sections, that makes it easier to use online.

There are more manuals at the top of the page at Cub Info, then go to Rudi's Manuals. :)

Joeandmack
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 03303
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub

Postby Joeandmack » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:08 pm

Thank you all for the information. Greatly appreciate the advice. Thank you Glen for the information about the serial numbers (mine is 204565 J so the older more detailed manual it is). Fun reading ahead.