This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

100 Manure Spreader Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 100 Manure Spreader Question

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:38 am

I’m thinking the chain an be removed from the beater bar, giving you controlled drop onto your beds. Seems like a solid idea to me.

jasondepinto
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 08889
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1956 Cub Loboy
1957 IH S-160

Postby jasondepinto » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:56 am

If I understand the manual correctly, one of the levers on the front turns on the beaters, and the other turns on the floor. I feel like the beaters might serve some purpose, breaking up the larger clumps, and making for a more even spread...but the auger at the back seems like it would pitch it everywhere. I've never seen one of these up close, and have only observed them in action on the handful of videos that exist on YouTube. But I feel like I could make it work for my application, and, it would just be cool to have another Cub attachment!
Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:59 am

Gary Dotson wrote:I’m thinking the chain an be removed from the beater bar, giving you controlled drop onto your beds. Seems like a solid idea to me.

The apron chain is also on a notched quadrant and you can control the speed/amount at which the contents are pushed out the back.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:47 am

As everyone has concluded, the width of the spreader doesn't play well with your bed dimensions. The rub is the 66" overall width doesn't fit within one bed plus two paths. In numbers, 66 is more than 14+30+14. I don't think there is much opportunity to narrow the spreader. If there was extra space inside the tires, it would have been built more narrow to begin with. You might gain a little by going to narrower tires then pulling them in a bit. How much can you adjust your bed sizes, at least on the new ground? Would 15+36+15 work? How about 20+26+20? Is it even a problem if the spreader runs over 4 inches on the edge of each adjacent bed? Don't you need to do some reforming to keep the beds in shape each year anyway?

jasondepinto wrote:If I understand the manual correctly, one of the levers on the front turns on the beaters, and the other turns on the floor. I feel like the beaters might serve some purpose, breaking up the larger clumps, and making for a more even spread...but the auger at the back seems like it would pitch it everywhere. . . .

You are correctly reading the manual. You definitely need the beaters to break up the material and spread it evenly. The purpose of the spiral is to pitch it everywhere. If you want the spreader to put down a band of material, you can take the drive chain off the spiral, although it would be better to remove it completely. (We did that to a couple spreaders so they wouldn't fling material on the vines in a vineyard.) Maybe you could flip the spirals to pull material toward the center of the bed, as I'm sure the material will cover an area more than 30 inches across, even without the spiral.

jasondepinto
Cub Star
Cub Star
1956 Cub Loboy
1957 IH S-160

Postby jasondepinto » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:24 pm

To clarify a bit, 14" paths are what we chose to maximize the amount of beds we could fit into a 1/4 acre plot. Having more room to work with on a 5 acre plot, I can make the beds/paths as wide as I need, to accommodate the Cub, and possibly the spreader and/or cultivators, doing more of the work for me. Wider beds and paths are completely possible, although a lot of our spacings and yield expectation calculations are based off of 100' 30" beds. Not running over adjacent beds is fairly important, as that leads to compaction, and we operate with a minimum to no-till sort of practice. Thank you for everyone's input. I'll be using this information, visiting the spreader tomorrow, and formulating a plan.
Circle of Safety

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:40 pm

If ground clearance is not an issue, you might look into the little spreaders made for lawn tractors: Newer Spreader is one. Tarter I think is another. I have an older Newer, if I can say that. They drizzle a very even curtain of “product” across their entire width right from the bottom. No flinging. I want to say they are just slightly over 48” wide outside to outside, so if your Cub is set narrow, it will be pretty close to following in your tire tracks.

Pros:
- easy to maneuver by hand (empty)
- Cub is more than ample to pull it.
- works great for manure bedded on shavings.

Cons:
- only sits a couple inches above the ground
- capacity is small—probably two wheelbarrows-worth. RK says 13 cu ft, which sounds about right. I think a wheelbarrow is supposed to be 6 cu ft.
- doesn’t work so well for particularly dense material or stringy material. It will choke trying to spread soil, compost, or manure bedded on straw.
- most importantly, it’s not a sweet antique Willy-wonky-esque contraption like a 100 is.

Here’s the Tarter at rural king:
https://www.ruralking.com/tarter-compac ... gAQAvD_BwE

27C2FE9C-79FD-40B6-94D2-0C057ADC0FC3.jpeg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:57 pm

Tom's post made me think of one more comment. It probably doesn't make a lot of sense to design a multi-acre operation around the dimensions of one 60-year old implement with hard to find parts. I think the Tarter suggestion isn't adequate, but there are others that would work well. Here is one with capacities and dimensions that seem to be a good fit:
https://loyal-roth.com/products/atv-manure-spreaders/pricelist-manure-spreader.php
I don't know anything good or bad about this particular machine. But it looks like a good fit.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:37 pm

Jason,
That plot looks great! Lots of work but the results are worth it.
We finally downsized our vegetable garden last fall from 30' x 60' to 25' x 45'. Still had excess produce at times. Not as many mouths to feed anymore.
Our oldest son Erik, and his wife started a fresh garden this spring that is 40' x 90'. They included corn in their plot, so needed the larger area.

Your little guy will get the hang of it. Give him a small area where he can have his own garden and watch his eyes sparkle as things start growing. We did it with pumpkins.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

jasondepinto
Cub Star
Cub Star
1956 Cub Loboy
1957 IH S-160

Postby jasondepinto » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:15 am

Jim Becker wrote:Tom's post made me think of one more comment. It probably doesn't make a lot of sense to design a multi-acre operation around the dimensions of one 60-year old implement with hard to find parts. I think the Tarter suggestion isn't adequate, but there are others that would work well. Here is one with capacities and dimensions that seem to be a good fit:
https://loyal-roth.com/products/atv-manure-spreaders/pricelist-manure-spreader.php
I don't know anything good or bad about this particular machine. But it looks like a good fit.

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. If the spreader was something I'd be using on a daily basis, yes, I would be hesitant to base plans and dimensions on an implement that old, with little to no parts available. As we would only be using this for initial formation of the beds, and to add a small amount of compost in future years, I feel like it would be viable. The bed/path dimensions matter more to me in terms of the Cub being able to straddle though, as using cultivators would be a real time, and back saver. I have seen that Loyal spreader, and the seller of the 100 also has a Mill Creek 25 Bushel for me to look at. Of course, I'd rather keep it in the Farmall family, but ultimately, I need what is best for the intended function. Thanks again for the advice.
Circle of Safety

jasondepinto
Cub Star
Cub Star
1956 Cub Loboy
1957 IH S-160

Postby jasondepinto » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:52 am

Peter Person wrote:Jason,
That plot looks great! Lots of work but the results are worth it.
We finally downsized our vegetable garden last fall from 30' x 60' to 25' x 45'. Still had excess produce at times. Not as many mouths to feed anymore.
Our oldest son Erik, and his wife started a fresh garden this spring that is 40' x 90'. They included corn in their plot, so needed the larger area.

Your little guy will get the hang of it. Give him a small area where he can have his own garden and watch his eyes sparkle as things start growing. We did it with pumpkins.

Peter

Thanks Peter! The garden was 20 X 30 before we blew it out to the 1/4 acre plot. We ran a 30 family CSA out of this plot this last year, over the course of 20 weeks! We also ate like kings, and STILL had excess to sell at a roadside stand. When the opportunity arose to take on a 5 acre field adjacent to our property, we jumped. We will be expanding the CSA sales next year, as well as planting larger plots of corn, pumpkins, and cover crop to rotate into the following year. Our 5 year old is very much into it. She can tell you how long things take to germination, and is the official farm tour guide whenever we have visitors. My little guy? He's a good helper when it comes to turning wrenches. My guess is he will be flipping Cubs like your boys in just a few years! :D :tractor:
Circle of Safety

jasondepinto
Cub Star
Cub Star
1956 Cub Loboy
1957 IH S-160

Postby jasondepinto » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:29 pm

Well, I decided it was worth a shot. Just couldn't resist another Cub implement! This thing is neat...it's kind of like a Rube Goldberg machine!
Attachments
IMG_0239.jpg
IMG_0238.jpg
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm

You can bring it to Cubfest Northeast next year. It may be useful. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:28 pm

Don McCombs wrote:You can bring it to Cubfest Northeast next year. It may be useful. :D

What are you trying to say, Don?
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:30 pm

Sometimes the by-products from the war stories can get quite deep. :lol:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:43 pm

Depends on how much compost you want to spread? You can not engage the beaters and just flow the compost out of the bed with the chain! Might need to build shields to narrow the spreader box down to 30” but I think it would be doable!
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!