This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help with a Cub! Fuel issues????

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Help with a Cub! Fuel issues????

Postby Pap » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:44 pm

I was having kinda the same problem and I found out the valve at the tank was about half way stopped up.
I took it off and apart and cleaned it. Works great now.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:33 am

If you take the gas line loose from the carb and open the valve at the bottom of the gas tank, how is the gas flow?
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:17 am

Better yet, remove the plug from the bottom of the carb and check the flow for a full minute. If the flow slows down to a trickle, the problem is up stream. If it continues to flow a good stream, for the whole minute, the problem is in the carb.

72chevelle
Zip Code: 22963

Postby 72chevelle » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:45 am

Thanks for all the replies! I had to take a few days off if it since I was waiting on parts. I actually took the carb all apart before I tried to start it Since it was cruddy. I soaked all the parts in carb cleaner bucket then reassembled. My jets were clean enough I could see light through them but had to say to run a wire through them to clean them so it might make sense the jet is too far restricted. I’ve got a new carb on the way from flea bay to try it. Will send this zenith through my ultrasonic washer and get if better if that fixes it. There are no non-ethanol stations around me do I’m sure having a spare will be required.

69ranger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1946 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall M, 1956 IH 130, 1979 IH 140, 1959 Farmall 240.
Several Brand X Green tractors that sound strange when they run.
1969 F-100 fully restored, 1969 F 100 original paint, 1973 F 100, 50 K original miles all original, 1978 F250 repainted, 1978 Bronco, 1967 Mustang, 1973 Mach ! Mustang.
Several single cylinder Honda motorcycles from the early 70's. Adding more junk all the time.

Postby 69ranger » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:41 pm

I dont really have any thing to add, as far as resolving the problems with the current carb, except that its likely starving for fuel due to a plugged or partly plugged jet. I mess with a lot of motor cycles, and this is the most common issue that I find.

Also use caution!!!! on the Flea Bay carbs, as the quality is hit or miss. I got two in a row, that were missing the vent hole. They ran only when the choke was shut, and died as soon as it was closed.
It seems this is a known issue, that had been addressed here before, but the nice folks here helped me figure it out. It works pretty decent now, but is a little richer than I want it to be.

When spring gets here and I have time, I am going to re-check the float settings, and see if I can make it better.
I may put the old one back on, if I can get a little help straightening the warped top. Maybe, if I get to attend the N E Oklahoma cub fest.

Good luck with your project.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:09 pm

72chevelle wrote:My jets were clean enough I could see light through them but had to say to run a wire through them to clean them so it might make sense the jet is too far restricted.

Just because you can see daylight through the jets doesn't mean they are clean. Only seeing a very sharp, well defined circular orifice tells you the jet is clear. If any portion of the orifice is fuzzy when looking through it, there is still a restriction in the jet.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

72chevelle

Postby 72chevelle » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:44 pm

Well Full update! I am an idiot!! I was cleaning the Well Vent jet and the idling jet not the main jet. I pulled that out and cleaned it and boom it ran, but it immediately reved to the moon so I imagine i have some work to do on the linkage for the throttle. The throttle wasnt moving at all so I can only imagine the rod that runs to the carb needs to be shorted Thanks everyone for all the help! One more step forward

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:12 pm

Check the lever at the governor where the spring attaches. Might be frozen up from rust/non-use. This lever (part #11 on the attachment) MUST have free and unrestricted movement. It's also somewhat fragile so handle it carefully.
gov throttle shaft.JPG

EDIT: I re-read your earlier posts and concluded that this tractor has not been run in a while. Suggest you check all the throttle linkage for freedom of movement and lube all moving connections. Also adjust the throttle linkage rod (#1) at the connection yoke (#3) per the specs.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:26 am

By all means check your carb to governor linkages for free movement and adjustment, but the over rev problem could be internal in the governor itself. When mine did that years ago, what l eventually found was that inside the governor, the pin that attaches the weights to the drive had worked it's way out far enough that when you spun the drive rod the weights didn't turn on it. Therefore preventing the weights from doing their job in regulating the speed.
Just a possibility as you move forward. Check the external linkages first.

Good luck
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

72chevelle

Postby 72chevelle » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:35 pm

Well, 1 step forward 2 steps back. attached are a few videos. I went in and put on the new fleabay carb and it performed exactly as expected. It ran for a few seconds with choke on only and them died. It would run with the throttle all the way pulled back but only for a few seconds. So I thought let me check the fuel flow. It flowed right under a quart in a minute not sure if that is sufficient but it sure seems so! Then I look over and the fleabay carb is dumping gas all over my floor so I am guessing the float was sunk or not adjusted. I pulled it off and went back to the zenith. Now when I crank it it revs to the moon and dies. The governor doesn't seem to be attempting to control it at all. I checked and the shaft will move when I touch it. Is it time to pull the governor housing apart? In the first video you can see the governor moving the linkage. so Its not frozen.
https://youtu.be/4UjxQ0wvvkE

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZQTlE8yKKog?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/tp1VORf4efs?feature=share

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:54 pm

The governor is clearly working in your first video. It pushes the rod back each time the engine quits. Are you sure the throttle shaft isn't installed in the carburetor bottom side up? I wasn't totally convinced whether the choke was working right either. Does pulling the choke rod back close the choke?

72chevelle

Postby 72chevelle » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:04 pm

Jim Becker wrote:The governor is clearly working in your first video. It pushes the rod back each time the engine quits. Are you sure the throttle shaft isn't installed in the carburetor bottom side up? I wasn't totally convinced whether the choke was working right either. Does pulling the choke rod back close the choke?

The choke does work no problem at all. I’m going to try to attach a picture of the Rod and see if you can see if it’s installed properly

72chevelle

Postby 72chevelle » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:08 pm

Well, that photo upload did not work. The eyelet for the linkage is Straight up. It’s almost like the governor is not responding fast enough. If I reach up and work the linkage with my hand I can keep it running just fine. But when I let the governor do it it starts to die and the governor immediately pegs it wide open Instead of easing into it. https://youtube.com/shorts/GB26rM7mdZ8?feature=share

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:19 pm

It does appear to respond to you moving the governor link by hand. So evidently it is moving the throttle the right direction.

The governor shouldn't have to push the throttle for it to keep running. It should sit there and idle all day without the governor doing anything. Even if the governor isn't working, you need to solve the idle problem before digging into the governor.

I also notice a rattling sort of sound in the first video. I initially thought it was something in the recording and ignored it. Is it a real noise and if so you know what is causing it?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:41 pm

72chevelle wrote:The eyelet for the linkage is Straight up.

Please explain what you mean by this.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor