This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Couple questions about ignition system

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Couple questions about ignition system

Postby Glen » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:30 pm

Hi,
Good that you got the engine to run. :)

The wire going from the starter to the ammeter is the main power wire for the system, for anything other than the starter, that produces, or uses power.
On a Cub with a magneto, that would be the charging system, and the lights.

The wire has to be connected so power can go from the generator to the battery, to charge the battery.

My opinion is that the condenser in the magneto can't make any spark if shorted to something, it is too small to store that much power.
I've never seen a Cub or automotive condenser make a spark.

The only thing near the magneto that could have made a spark to ground if you touched it with a wrench is the post on top of the starter.
Maybe you somehow touched it with a wrench that had the other end inside the magneto, I don't know.
Always keep wrenches away from the starter post where the battery cable connects on, when working on other things, with the battery connected.

Does the ammeter show charge when the engine is running at speeds above slow idle ?