This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Can't find the missing shifter fork

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gkiesel
Zip Code: 18661

Can't find the missing shifter fork

Postby Gkiesel » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:59 am

Hi all. I know there are many threads concerning the broken 1st/reverse shifter fork. As can be seen in the photo, mine too is broken. My problem is that i can't find the missing piece. I've fished and fished, but it doesn't seem to be in the gearbox. I'm now wondering if I need to remove the PTO shaft and cover to gain access to the rears to look for the missing piece. If so, will the PTO shaft slide out with the cover, or am I opening up a big can of worms? Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, George
Attachments
resized.jpg

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Can't find the missing shifter fork

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:10 am

Did you look in the pan when you drained the transmission?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:40 pm

If you have an extension magnet, put it through the drain hole and fish around for it. The hole, itself, is slightly above the bottom of the inside of the housing.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:12 pm

Hi,
I would try what Dale said above.

If you remove the PTO, I would remove the PTO itself first, and then the lower cover, so you would be taking all the bolts out on the PTO and the cover.
You have to be able to tilt the PTO up and down some to get it out, and put it in again, because of the PTO shifter pin, and the PTO clutch slot that the pin goes in.
I don't think you can do that too well with the lower cover attached to the PTO.

Below is the Cub and LoBoy service manual, it has lots of info.
I would read section 6A, the PTO section, before removing the PTO.
Disregard the Belt Pulley Attachment info if you don't have a Belt Pulley.
There is a contents beginning on page 1 of most sections, that makes it easier to use online.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

You didn't say the year of the Cub. This manual was made in the 1970's so it has newer, 12 volt electrical system info.

Be sure to shift both forks to neutral before putting the shifter on again.

Below is a picture of inside the rear of the transmission housing with the PTO and rear cover off.
If you remove the PTO, I would check the PTO pilot bushing for wear, and replace it if needed.
The front of the PTO shaft runs in the bushing, it is in the rear end of the clutch shaft, which is in the pic below, in the upper part of the pic.
Also check the PTO shifter pin for wear, if it is worn it can let the PTO slip out of engaged when trying to use the PTO.
TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has parts for the PTO. You can see pics of the parts there. :)
Attachments
Cub trans 24.jpg
Cub trans 24.jpg (51.92 KiB) Viewed 101 times