This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

'48 Cub -metal parts in oil pan

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
phill_mi
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49435
Tractors Owned: '47 Ford 2N (with '50 8N motor)
'48 Farmall Cub
C22 sickle
'52 Ferguson TO-30
'63 Farmall 560 gas with loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: '48 Cub -metal parts in oil pan

Postby phill_mi » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:32 pm

As I was looking at the parts list in the service manual section 2 I realized that someone made a 'field modification' to my '48 at the lever pin to the carb connecting rod, at left front of tractor, there is a spring that is tied to the cotter pin on the lever and anchored under the head of the corner radiator bolt. Not sure what this did except that the pin it was tied too was rusty and the lever did not want to move.
20220620_101705cSpring.jpg

I will go back and try to take better pictures. thanks for the help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:47 pm

Hi,
The spring is not an original part put on by IH.
The governor should work normally without the spring in your pic.

Lubricate all the throttle and governor linkages so they move freely, it is important so the governor works right.
Work them and free them if they are tight.

The arm at the top of the governor commonly gets tight from no oil. Work oil into the pivot there.

Below is a How To about governor repair. :)

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=91319

phill_mi
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49435
Tractors Owned: '47 Ford 2N (with '50 8N motor)
'48 Farmall Cub
C22 sickle
'52 Ferguson TO-30
'63 Farmall 560 gas with loader

Postby phill_mi » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:58 pm

Spring #18 in the blowout on 2-15 of the service manual is missing, which would seem to me to be the reason for the wear on the back of both weights and housing. The housing is grooved about a 16th of an inch around most of the housing but it is shallower as it passes over where shaft #8 enters the housing. The wear on the housing is about 3/4 of an inch wide most of the arch narrowing down to about 1/4 inch. The wear on the back of the two weights is more pronounced on one of them, but is on both. The wear area on the weights and the housing is shinny implying to me that it is currently happening. And that makes since to me as spring #18 is missing and does not limit the travel of the throw-out bearing #24, 23.
20220620_205039c.jpg
20220620_204949c3grovedHousing.jpg

The bearing for shaft 8 seems to be fine as there is no side play. The throttle lever also seems fine with no side play. So it seems like it would be wise to get the oil seal #9, the shaft bushing #16, not sure if the end cap can be salvaged, and spring #18. I'm not sure about the weights or other parts. Is there a known history of spring #18 being removed as some kind of a field modification? The spring that was added to lever #30 at the cotter pin to #3 and back over to the radiator mount, was added before someone repainted the whole tractor, including rubber parts, long ago.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:04 pm

Hi,
I've never had a governor with the Bumper Spring, it is called in the parts manual, missing.
I don't know how it works with the spring missing.
The Bumper Spring Adjustment screws in or out, and is just for helping the governor not speed up and down repeatedly, by itself.
The service manual says don't screw it in too far, I think.

TM Tractor has a new spring, below is the listing, you can look at the pic.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gv/1006fp.htm

The weights have stops built on, I think, to limit how far out they can go, see if they are there, and how far out they go.

The spring on the outside, for the throttle, can get weak some, it has to be the right strength to use in combination with the weights.
People on here have said their governors worked better after replacing the spring.

There is supposed to be a pin between the weights and the gear somewhere, it is not shown in the parts manual pic, I think. I think it goes through the shaft, but not sure.
People on here have had the pin come out, then the governor didn't work right.
If the pin is gone, it needs replacing.
inairam, his name on here, was talking about it months ago.
Send him a PM, he might have info about it.
Or maybe the other experts know about it, or have a picture of it.
I haven't had a governor apart lately, and I don't remember the pin.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:35 am

this is the roll pin I would guess it could be. You access it through the hole. It is not in the cub parts book.
Attachments
govwe.png
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Return to “Farmall Cub”