This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub 22 main driveshaft bushing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FREEDOM FARMER
Zip Code: 04941

cub 22 main driveshaft bushing

Postby FREEDOM FARMER » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:14 am

Hello
First time post here. I have been reading along and taking in info for the past year or so. Lots of good info here and seems to be a wealth of knowledge from experienced people.
One thing I have recently tried to research is a cheaper more available source for the cub 22 main shaft bushing. I ended up going to my local ag equipment supplier and ordered apparently, the last one in the country,.... and yes as some of you have pointed out it was rather pricey at $80.00!

and of course you can't operate the mower while the shaft is slamming around inside the tube. (it causes a bit of smoke to exit by the flywheel end leaving you scratching your forehead thinking"that's not right"...) , or so I have heard... so I bought it and thought you would like to know the dimension specs in case some enterprising individual would like to turn one of these down on a lathe and save some money.

O.D 1.323
I.d 1.132
Thickness .092
length 3.5 inches

I've measured it many times with two different calipers and that's whaat I came up with though something isa bit off when you add the thickness to the i.d. I hope this helps anyone rebuilding a cub 22 sickle bar. If I have missed a thread that address the bushing alternative, let me know.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cub 22 main driveshaft bushing

Postby tst » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:20 am

seen pcv pipe used for a bushing in that

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:18 pm

Thank you for the input. What material is the bushing made from, can you tell?
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:43 pm

The IH ones are steel. And the measurement stated gives a good ballpark I’m sure, but there is probably some difference even across IH one as the bushing is split down the center lengthwise
Thomas

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:21 pm

I remember seeing the printing on the pipe, schedule 40 or 80 probably ?

FREEDOM FARMER

Postby FREEDOM FARMER » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:04 pm

It is steel no break down the middle just a tube. I installed it tonite and ran the mower. What a difference! This was a IH original according to the package. Its part Number is 453183r1

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:50 pm

Hi,
Below is a pic of a bushing I took out of my Cub 22 Mower, it is metal.
It has the cut lengthwise.

There was a different part number bushing used on the first Cub 22 Mowers, it might not have had the cut lengthwise, I don't know.
You didn't say the year of your Cub, or if the mower looks the age of the Cub.
The first mowers used 1 bolt to hold the rear bracket on the final drive, I think.

Be sure to get plenty of grease into the long tube. There should be a grease fitting near the front, and near the rear. If they are broken, I would repair them.
You need to see that grease is coming out the end of the tube for it to have enough.
It is common on the mowers I have seen that grease won't go to the front good enough.

I have had to fill the tube fully, while it's assembled, with the shaft in it, until grease will come out the front. It takes many strokes of a grease gun.
Since you have a new bushing, I would recommend you do that.
The grease easily goes out the rear on the mowers I have seen, it throws it in the lower pulley guard.

Someone on here was repairing one of them in the past, and I think he found bushings the right size at a bushing company, or maybe McMaster Carr, I don't know where, but the bushings were not as long, I think he had to use 2 or 3 at each end of the tube, to make long enough bushings. :)
Attachments
Mower.jpg

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:18 am

If I were in need of one of these, I’d probably turn one out of Delrin.

FREEDOM FARMER

Postby FREEDOM FARMER » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:39 pm

my cub is a52. I am the third owner. The second owner was not able to get on and off due to physical limitations so he he put it up for sale rather quick. The mower has the 2 bolts holding it to final drive. I believe it was nought as a package deal. I bought it from the dealer ship who originally sold it new! I put the grease to it plenty. I think I had a whole tube of it in there. I didn't clean outa all the old when working on it.
My next issue is to rep[lace whatever piece holds the cutter bar from sliding to the ground when I put it in transport position.
Im using a old fan belt to weave around the sections to keep it from sliding down.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:45 pm

Hi,
There are 2 parts that keep the knife bar from sliding down to the ground when the mower is raised up to the vertical position.
1 or both could be broken.

Below are pictures of them.
The 1st part has a piece that sticks up at the left end, they break off sometimes.
It is called a Knife Head Cap Rear in the Cub 22 Mower parts manual.

Case IH dealers still sold them the last time I checked.
You can call a dealer and give them the part number, and ask if they still have it.
The number is on it, ME 652.
I would check the number on yours, in case it is different, the parts manual says there was another number used on the 1st Cub 22 mowers.

The 2nd pic shows the other part, it is on the end area of the pitman.
It is a Pitman Strap Rear in the manual.
It is part number M 1578 in the manual.
There is also a point on that part that touches on the part in the 1st pic, it could be broken.
Webb Cutting Components showed them a few years ago, they are online.
I don't know if Case IH has them. :)
Attachments
mower.jpg
Cub 22 mower 3.jpg

FREEDOM FARMER

Postby FREEDOM FARMER » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:40 pm

Thanks for the pics. The pitman is good. It’s the other piece I guess. I’ll be getting that next