This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starter solenoid

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.
Circle of Safety: Y

Starter solenoid

Postby Papa's Cub » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:02 pm

Yesterday afternoon the starter solenoid stopped working on my 76 cub. It clicks when I turn the key but the inside terminals are not connecting. The one I took off has the number SAZ-4200 AJ stamped in the mounting plate. I located several on Google that look the same but not with this part number. I'm hoping for a replacement recommendation because I see several advertised between $9.95 - $50.00. Also, what would cause the contact post in a distributor cap and rotor to corrode? Every 12 - 15 hrs of mowing the engine starts skipping and I have to pull the distributor cap and clean rotor tip and the cap contact post. The points appear to be OK. Any advice or recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: Starter solenoid

Postby tst » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:35 pm

use a cap with brass inserts, solenoid is a common ford for example 1990 ford f150

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:00 pm

Hi,
The solenoid might not be bad.
I think they have said on here that the solenoid needs to ground through its mounting base.
Try removing its mounting bolts, and sand the bottom of it, and where it mounts to.
Clean all filings off with a clean rag.

Remove the negative post from the battery first, to avoid shorting the system.

Also, you could remove the battery cables from the battery, and clean the ends, and the posts with fine sandpaper. Remove all filings with a clean rag.

If the battery ground is under the battery, you could take the battery out, and remove the bolt in the bottom of the battery box, and sand the top and bottom end of the ground cable, and in the box.
If it is rusty there, that could cause a poor ground.

Tim mentioned the distributor cap, some caps have aluminum or similar contacts in them, they look aluminum colored. :)

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:57 pm

Thanks Glen and tst for responding. I've ordered a new solenoid and believe that will fix the cranking problem. I'll address the skipping issues later. Thanks, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!