This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A puzzling problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: A puzzling problem

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:01 pm

When you open the carb, pull the two halves straight apart or you'll risk snapping off the idle tube.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 32312
Tractors Owned: 1975 International Cub

Postby PFord » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:29 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:When you open the carb, pull the two halves straight apart or you'll risk snapping off the idle tube.

Noted. I've seen that advice given several times in the past and I'll be SURE to follow it!

Thanks.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:08 pm

When you pull the carb apart, pull the halves straight apart. No twisting or turning. The idle tube can be quite fragile.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:10 pm

I am not sure I would even do this what do you think about pulling the manifold off to see if there is something blocking some of the.passages or in the ports in the block that would cause this?

I still do not understand it being the cab if some cylinders are dry and other wet. it has to be related to the individual cylinders not something common to all.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

oldfarmkid
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 29669

Postby oldfarmkid » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:51 pm

Don't see anything wrong with pulling the manifold if thats where your reasoning and curiosity has lead you. I think you have a good point. Like you , I don't understand some cylinders dry and some wet and just one carb feeding them all.

Lnk
Zip Code: 37874

Postby Lnk » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:57 pm

inairam wrote:I am not sure I would even do this what do you think about pulling the manifold off to see if there is something blocking some of the.passages or in the ports in the block that would cause this?

I still do not understand it being the cab if some cylinders are dry and other wet. it has to be related to the individual cylinders not something common to all.

He did a compression test and all cylinders are within 2 psi if I remember correctly. That is why the difference in fuel supplied is making us suggest manifold blockage or gasket not sealing around 1/2. I am sure I could figure it out were it in front of me. But will have to guess best we can with the information provided.

I do hope this gets solved as less intrusively and inexpensive as possible.
198? Deutz D7007
1951 Ferguson TO-20
2007 Power-Trac PT-425
1952 Farmall Cub
1968 Gravely C8

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:20 pm

Yea, that's why in my initial posts I said it seemed like either a blockage or a leak. And on just the front two cylinders, which I now know share an intake runner.

The current plan is this:

1. My gasket set arrives on Sunday. I'll pull the manifold, inspect for blockage, install new gaskets, and torque back down to specs. Then test the motor.

2. I'll pull the head, have a look around, then install a new head gasket and torque down to spec.

3. If that doesn't work, I'll pull the carb, split it, put it in the ultrasonic for a while, verify the float level, re-assemble, and see if it's better.

4. If it still isn't working, I'll order all new parts for the distributor and rebuild that, cap, rotor, points, condenser.

If none of those work I'll sell it! LOL!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:46 pm

If you haven't reset the gap on the valves, do it as part of your step 1 while the manifold is off.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:17 pm

Jim Becker wrote:If you haven't reset the gap on the valves, do it as part of your step 1 while the manifold is off.

Good call. I've had nothing off this tractor yet. Only had it for 6 weeks. Hate that I had to tear into this soon to be honest.

Lnk
Zip Code: 37874

Postby Lnk » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:10 am

PFord wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:If you haven't reset the gap on the valves, do it as part of your step 1 while the manifold is off.

Good call. I've had nothing off this tractor yet. Only had it for 6 weeks. Hate that I had to tear into this soon to be honest.

You may not have to tear into it too badly. Might get away easy. Be careful if you do pull the head. I have read the bolts go into the water jacket, and are easy to break off in the head. Look up how to do a leak down test before pulling the head. And yes, adjust the valves when the manifold is off. Much easier. Though not too hard if you have the carb off and an upward exhaust. Go slow and think it through whatever you are doing. Don't create any problems if you can.
198? Deutz D7007
1951 Ferguson TO-20
2007 Power-Trac PT-425
1952 Farmall Cub
1968 Gravely C8

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:00 am

PFord wrote:2. I'll pull the head, have a look around, then install a new head gasket and torque down to spec.
No. Compression test indicated no problem.
4. If it still isn't working, I'll order all new parts for the distributor and rebuild that, cap, rotor, points, condenser.
Local auto parts store should have the listed parts in stock.

Investigate first before throwing parts at the tractor. Have you fully investigated the ignition?

My sequence for working on the C-60 engine; compression, ignition, and lastly carburation.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:11 am

A cheap borescope from Harbor Freight or your favorite online retailer would allow you to inspect the inside of the manifold from the carb flange without having to remove the manifold. You would be surprised how many other uses you might find for a borescope.
Jim

Circle of Safety

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:20 am

Urbish wrote:A cheap borescope from Harbor Freight or your favorite online retailer would allow you to inspect the inside of the manifold from the carb flange without having to remove the manifold. You would be surprised how many other uses you might find for a borescope.

I have a couple of uses ALREADY for a borescope! Stop tempting me! :)

But part of what I think could be a problem with the manifold is a leak. And that would only be remedied by a gasket replacement. And wouldn't show up on the borescope. So this is basically a 2 for 1.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:26 am

Eugene wrote:
PFord wrote:2. I'll pull the head, have a look around, then install a new head gasket and torque down to spec.
No. Compression test indicated no problem.
Local auto parts store should have the listed parts in stock.

Investigate first before throwing parts at the tractor. Have you fully investigated the ignition?

My sequence for working on the C-60 engine; compression, ignition, and lastly carburation.

Compression test would show solid results if the intake valve was stuck closed. It's helpful but not definitive in my book.

As far as throwing parts at it, I'm OK with it. Some of these parts are nearly 50 years old. I had intended to go through and replace a lot of them anyway. I'm just having to do it sooner than I hoped. And a full kit for a distributor is $20. I'm good with that.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:01 am

PFord wrote:Compression test would show solid results if the intake valve was stuck closed. It's helpful but not definitive in my book.
Wrong Book. If valve was stuck closed, engine would not turn over. Cam shaft lobe would jamb/hit the valve stem, stopping crankshaft rotation.

You are going to check the valve lifter gap?

With listed compression, just conduct a full/100% engine tune up.

On, unlit propane torch around intake manifold ports with someone cranking the engine over. Ignition on. Test for leaking intake manifold gaskets.

Post photos of your old spark plugs. Engine pumping oil/fouling plugs can still have good compression.
I have an excuse. CRS.