This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A puzzling problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 32312
Tractors Owned: 1975 International Cub

Re: A puzzling problem

Postby PFord » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:49 am

Sadly, some of the testing parts/tools I ordered were incorrect, so another order going in Monday. However I was able to test spark and it's absolutely solid across all plugs. So I think I can rule out ignition being a problem.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:15 pm

PFord wrote:I was able to test spark and it's absolutely solid across all plugs. So I think I can rule out ignition being a problem.
Not. Spark doesn't mean that you do not have an ignition problem. Diagnosed your occasional miss problem?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:00 pm

Hi,
To test the power of the spark the Battery Ignition unit is making, first lock the brake pedals together, then lock the brakes applied. If the brakes don't work right, be sure the Cub doesn't roll while doing the spark test.
Remove the ignition wire from the center post on the distributor cap, and hold the wire by the insulation, with the metal end about 1/4" from bare metal of the engine block.

Be sure the transmission is in neutral, turn the ignition switch to on, and run the starter.
The spark should jump the 1/4" gap, and be blue or white. A yellow spark is weak, and needs improving.
The engine may not run, or run right, with a yellow spark.
Do the test in a building, or not in bright light, so you can see the spark well.
The battery should be fully charged for the spark test. Charge the battery if necessary.
A low output charger is better, it may take several hours to charge it. :)
Last edited by Glen on Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:43 pm

You need to have the distributor correctly matched/timed to the engine. The distributor timed to the crankshaft. All distributor components in excellent condtion. Correct plug wires. Correct spark plugs. Plugs wires on correct plugs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:36 pm

Ok, thanks everyone.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:40 pm

Hi,
Cub engines need the ignition timing set right, if it is off some, the engine may not run right, or have less power than it should.

The Cub service manual says to set the timing of the Battery Ignition unit using a timing light, like cars with a distributor in the past used.
Below is a page from the Cub service manual showing the timing marks a Cub the year of yours should have.
Mark number 1 should be aligned with the pointer when the engine is running at slow idle speed, 500 RPM.
Use only the pic and the words under it, they are talking about other things on the page.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... -01-43.jpg

As you slowly speed up the engine, the timing should advance until mark 2 is about in line with the pointer when the engine is at full speed, 2000 RPM for a 1975 Cub before serial number 248125. :)

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:52 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
inairam wrote:These are called sintered metal filters. I have seen these in industrial filter applications. I have not seen them in small fuel filters.

Really?
https://www.finditparts.com/products/68 ... ters-sf898

I have seen them on vents for hydraulics and on regenerative blowers. i used them in a design for an air vacuum tempary sheet holder. I just have not seen them in fuel filters.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:23 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
Cub engines need the ignition timing set right, if it is off some, the engine may not run right, or have less power than it should.

The Cub service manual says to set the timing of the Battery Ignition unit using a timing light, like cars with a distributor in the past used.
Below is a page from the Cub service manual showing the timing marks a Cub the year of yours should have.
Mark number 1 should be aligned with the pointer when the engine is running at slow idle speed, 500 RPM.
Use only the pic and the words under it, they are talking about other things on the page.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... -01-43.jpg

As you slowly speed up the engine, the timing should advance until mark 2 is about in line with the pointer when the engine is at full speed, 2000 RPM for a 1975 Cub before serial number 248125. :)

Yes, thank you. I have a timing light, and my white marker pen just arrived from Amazon this morning so I can mark the timing marks more clearly. I found them last week. The problem is the the engine doesn't run long enough for me to look at the timing typically. It was dying in 3-4 seconds. So if I can get it to limp along a bit longer, I'll see if I can read the timing.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:09 pm

PFord wrote:I have a timing light. The problem is the the engine doesn't run long enough for me to look at the timing typically. It was dying in 3-4 seconds
Static time the engine, - - first.
I have an excuse. CRS.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:24 pm

Eugene wrote:
PFord wrote:I have a timing light. The problem is the the engine doesn't run long enough for me to look at the timing typically. It was dying in 3-4 seconds
Static time the engine, - - first.

Well, I know the piston is at TDC on the mark. I was able to rock the fan back and forth with the plugs out and watch the valves close as they should. I need to get the distributor cap off and see if the rotor is in the right place. Probably do that tomorrow.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:25 pm

PFord wrote:Well, I know the piston is at TDC on the mark. I was able to rock the fan back and forth with the plugs out and watch the valves close as they should. I need to get the distributor cap off and see if the rotor is in the right place. Probably do that tomorrow.
This site, look up how to static time an engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:38 pm

So it looks like it was a fuel delivery issue. I got the pony tank hooked up today. After a few cranks when the fuel delivery started, she ran just as sweet as you please.

So now, I'll do some basic maintenance, and things I had been planning to do, but I can do them more leisurely. And I'm going to pull the sediment bowl and fitting off the bottom of the tank to see where it might be gummed up. It's possible the sediment bowl screen was causing issues, and I've already changed that, but I'll just make sure to check everything while I've got the hood off and got easy access to everything.

PFord
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby PFord » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:33 pm

Welp, spoke too soon! LOL!

I got some junk out of the way and had a good look at the carb. The top is warped near the fuel inlet. Undoubtedly letting in all kinds of unmetered air. I'll pull the carb off this week, get it in the ultrasonic, see if I can close the gap with gasket(s), and see how she runs. I may buy a new carb if I can't get this one straightened out. Even if this is not the ultimate issue, it sure isn't helping.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:51 pm

I don’t think you’ll find closing the gap with extra gaskets to be a good solution. After you have cleaned it, if you want to send it to me, I’ll straighten it, no charge. Just return shipping. PM me, if interested.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:21 pm

Don McCombs wrote:I don’t think you’ll find closing the gap with extra gaskets to be a good solution. After you have cleaned it, if you want to send it to me, I’ll straighten it, no charge. Just return shipping. PM me, if interested.

Take Don up on his offer. It will be done right.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6