This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Questions on Bad Starter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dub2255
Zip Code: 28001

Questions on Bad Starter

Postby Dub2255 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:34 pm

Hello new to the forum

My cub hasnt been ran in awhile went out a few weeks ago tried starting it an i notice when i pulled the starting lever it sparked near the clutch.
i noticed the coating on the positive wire had rub off over time im guessing so i replaced with a new positive an neg cable. Now when i try to jumo it off i just get a hummimg noise i took the starter off an clean the contact an bench tested the starter tested it with the contact off an with it on the starter enguaged but seemed kinda slow. i installed it back opn the tractor same thing. the battery is from 2016 do you think the battery is just gone far enough that even jumping it isnt enough power or has the starter gone bad. It is a 6v

thanks

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Questions on Bad Starter

Postby ntrenn » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:30 pm

Did you check the brushes? My 63 with 6v starter wore halfway through the brush holders. By the time it got to that point, it would barely spin.
Most old school starter and alternator shops are retired. The autozone guys can’t even test these old pieces. Tried to test a 12v generator…,kid couldn’t find a plug in his drawer for it and gave up.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Questions on Bad Starter

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:43 pm

Keep in mind that these things don't spin the engine at 1,000 rpm. Kinda slow is normal.