This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Good Year Tires - Why Tubes?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AndrewSpencer
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 20855

Re: Good Year Tires - Why Tubes?

Postby AndrewSpencer » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:14 am

And to keep that wrench in the air, all the reasons for running tubes are the exact reasons for running tubeless on a bicycle; you can run them at lower pressure, more stability on rough ground, less chance of flats...
And the original Firestone ag tires on my '53 are tubeless.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Waif » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:01 pm

Extracted a generous splinter of wood from under the bead of one tractors tire from a previous owner.
IF a bead was well sealed and no one ever spun a tire or caved a sidewall against something , less tubes might be required.

Have seen rags and gloves sticking out of sidewalls on old tractors moved out of long term barn storage.
That don't work without tubes!

Thorns have not sank me yet on the Cubs. Mattr of time probably.
I've had one through a wheel and tube on a wheelchair before though outback of beyond too many hundreds of miles away from home.
Tube slowed the leak. Despite having to hand pump air often.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:24 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:
radioguy41 wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:To throw a monkey wrench in this discussion, ALL new tractors made in the last 25+ years have come off the assembly line with tubeless tires.

You can't compare today's technology to yesterday's tractors.

Sure I can. We've got two pages of guys saying how tubeless tires won't hold up on tractors because of the terrain they run on and how they are used.

The terrain hasn't changed.

Modern tractors go over the same terrain and are used AT LEAST has hard, and tubeless tires hold up just fine.

I agree 100%! If not used harder!

I have tubless on the tractor I bought new in 2005.

Have tubeless on some hay wagons too.

I think the 336 Deere baler has tubless as well.

I see more rim rot around valve stems on rims with tubes in them too!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000

Postby radioguy41 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:43 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:
radioguy41 wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:To throw a monkey wrench in this discussion, ALL new tractors made in the last 25+ years have come off the assembly line with tubeless tires.

Sure I can. We've got two pages of guys saying how tubeless tires won't hold up on tractors because of the terrain they run on and how they are used.

Modern tractors go over the same terrain and are used AT LEAST has hard, and tubeless tires hold up just fine.

But with different wheels. Wheels that are designed for modern tubeless tires. You understand the difference? You can't compare modern technology with antique tractors from a different engineering era. I worked in the industry for more than 20 years. We were not allowed to mount tubeless tires on tube type rims due to liability but you guys are certainly free to risk your lives in the field any way you want to, just stay off the roads and highways because if it blows because it's altered you are liable.
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:58 pm

The ACTUAL thickness of tubeless tires are WAY thinner and flimsy and the softer rubber allows them to get punched easier. Tube type,---even today is made from a harder type rubber, then add the good old tube and you have another layer of protection against flats. Plys and ply RATINGS are not the same either. MOST tubeless tires are 2 ply and some advertise a 4 ply tread which is useless if you take a hit on the sidewall! 2 ply is,--- well paper thin!
Aircraft tires have to be 22 ACTUAL plys to hold up and even the smaller ones weigh a ton with all of the rubber and cord in them. We had a couple with the bead cut down from 22 ply to 6 ply on an old beater wagon and never had more than 5 pounds of air in them but with full load they still stood up like they had a hundred pounds in them.
Not all tires are the same either. There is no standard in the manufacture of them and now with third world makers its gotten worse!
A 480x8 from asia and a 480x8 from the usa are totally different in height and width. Other sizes the same deal NOT the same!
As a choice,--- I dont have one. As long as they hold air I use them. --- Biggest problem is that you have to have the right style rim to fit the tire you want to use. --- Dont go putting tubeless tires on tube type rims and visa versa!

Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 60450
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1962 John Deere 4010 Gas with No.45 Loader (Helen)
1966 John Deere 4020 Deisel (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:01 pm

Tubeless (Radial) and Tubed (Bias Ply) are made using two different types of construction.
Secretary with Will County Threshermens Association (Will County, Illinois)
62nd Annual Will County Threshermens gas and steam tractor show July 18-21, 2024 featuring JI Case Steam and gas tractors. All makes welcome
https://www.steamshow.org/

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:10 pm

Hi,
Below is a pic of the only style of valve I have seen on Cub rear tires, they are metal, and have a screw on round nut at the base. They are used with the tube type tires, they are made on the tube.
The valve cap is plastic.

The front tires with tubes use a rubber valve.

The 2nd pic is the replaceable part of the rear valves. The collar screws off of the lower part of the valve. :)
Attachments
Cub valve rear .jpg
Cub rear tire valve .jpg
Cub rear tire valve .jpg (7.36 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Last edited by Glen on Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:35 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:
radioguy41 wrote:

Rim design is different, they have safety beads and lips on the rims to help keep them on.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:43 am

My cub tires have tubes. Why? Because I like them. My 404 I don't know but if I have to work on one they will have tubes and out with the beet juice! My Cadet came tubeless but when replacing the tires the dealer recommended tubes. I did not need convincing. Vern

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:35 am

Just to add a little more fuel to the fire here. We have already had explanations in this post that "tubeless" rims are different from "tube-type" rims, which holds (seats) the tubeless tires more securely. And someone mentioned that there are "radial" tires versus "bias-ply" tires, which is a difference in tire construction. A manufacturer could make a radial tire either tub-type or tubeless; the difference would be whether it had an inner lining of "butyl" rubber to hold the air molecules in, thereby replacing the tube function. Butyl rubber is what tubes are made of, you know how different it feels from most other rubbers. It doesn't like to adhere to other rubbers, which causes some of the difficulties in making tubeless tires. It also requires more than one layer of butyl, as a pinhole during manufacturing would render it useless. So the cost of a tubeless tire is higher. Not many bias ply tires are made today, but in farm and aircraft they are still often used. Some inroads have been made converting aircraft and farm over to tubeless, but the cost of engineering those tires, plus the cost of getting them approved for aircraft, has made it only worthwhile for the larger markets. An 8.3-24 is rarely used in true agriculture anymore, with hundreds of horsepower in a tractor. And many of the tires we actually still use were made many years ago. So we are mostly still dealing with bias ply tires that were made before tubeless was a thing, and/or are still made tubeless for all of the reasons listed in this and previous posts.

A post earlier mentioned that "fresh air" was part of what caused corrosion when using calcium chloride; actually, it is the oxygen component that is primarily responsible. So I wouldn't be surprised to find that a manufacturer loading tubeless tires with calcium chloride also aired up the tires using Nitrogen. No corrosion there, until the farmer adds "air" back in when he tops off his tires.

For those that don't know me well, I spent 37 years with Michelin tire, mostly in auto tires, but dabbled in farm and aircraft as well.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:34 am

Rick Spivey wrote:A post earlier mentioned that "fresh air" was part of what caused corrosion when using calcium chloride; actually, it is the oxygen component that is primarily responsible. So I wouldn't be surprised to find that a manufacturer loading tubeless tires with calcium chloride also aired up the tires using Nitrogen. No corrosion there, until the farmer adds "air" back in when he tops off his tires.

Exactly, "fresh air." When you air up a calcium tire, the corrosion only goes until the oxygen is used up. As long as additional oxygen, i.e. "fresh air" is not introduced, the corrosion stops.

If a farmer is adding air, there is a leak, and it needs to be addressed asap, or corrosion will become a problem.

AndrewSpencer
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 20855

Postby AndrewSpencer » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:39 pm

Took 5 of us and a slid steer but we got tires off and what do you know. I could have sworn they didnt have tubes but they sure did!
And now that I have them off, I feel like it was all for naught as the rims are looking really rough.
Attachments
358D0825-7BC4-49D3-98AF-5EC598868DD3.jpeg

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:13 pm

At least now you know what you’re dealing with. No surprises down the road.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:28 am

Knock all that rust off. Beat it with a hammer is the worse places see how strong it is. If it's not super thin I'd knock the rust off treat it with your preferred method paint it and put new tubes tires in there.

Greenthumbfarms
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 60450
Tractors Owned: 1974 Cub Cadet 1450
1977 Cub Cadet 1650

1950 Farmall Cub (Georgette)
1956 Farmall 230 (Gladys)
1959 Farmall 240 Utility (Heather)
1962 John Deere 4010 Gas with No.45 Loader (Helen)
1966 John Deere 4020 Deisel (Jack)
1975 International Cub (Ozzie)

Postby Greenthumbfarms » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:47 pm

Clemsonfor wrote:Knock all that rust off. Beat it with a hammer is the worse places see how strong it is. If it's not super thin I'd knock the rust off treat it with your preferred method paint it and put new tubes tires in there.

Inside the rim if it is structurely fine I wire brush and primer. The paint isn't necessary if you use a decent primer and it holds fine.
Secretary with Will County Threshermens Association (Will County, Illinois)
62nd Annual Will County Threshermens gas and steam tractor show July 18-21, 2024 featuring JI Case Steam and gas tractors. All makes welcome
https://www.steamshow.org/