This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sleeving a worn axle or simply replace it?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
4thGen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

54A Blade
C22 Sickle mower
189 Two-way plow
59 Woods belly mower

Sleeving a worn axle or simply replace it?

Postby 4thGen » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:03 pm

I'm trying to button up the new right side brakes on my '55 to match the left, and figured I'd best replace the leaky seals while I'm in there.

The right side differential axle shaft has some serious wear from damaged original seals and also a good amount of pitting. The pitting is on the differential side, the grooves from damaged seals are on both ends. I searched on here and saw some recommendations for "Speedi-Sleeve" and "Redi-Sleeve" - but I can't find one in the correct dimension to use on the differential side (I measured the diameter to be 1.0515" and the closest I can find is 1.60") .

Should I slap some JB Weld in the groove, smooth it out, and give it a go? :lol:

Alternatively, does anyone know of a source for a new right differential axle shaft? I don't see new right-side differential shafts listed on TM's site, just the left.

The left side was slightly worn in both places but it smoothed out nicely with some crocus cloth - the toothed area of the right side might clean up the same way, but I believe there is zero chance the splined area will clean up enough to make a good seal due to the depth of the groove and the adjacent pitting.

R_Diff_Axle_2.jpg

R_Diff_Axle_1.jpg

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sleeving a worn axle or simply replace it?

Postby Glen » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:40 pm

Hi,
JP Tractor Salvage at the bottom of the page probably has a good used axle shaft, if you want to replace it.
You can ask them if it's been inspected and is flat where the seals run on it.
I looked, and it is listed in the Cub final drive parts. :)