This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub j4 Magneto

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
waynemo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Cub j4 Magneto

Postby waynemo » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:46 am

I thought my cub valves were stuck like they did last fall but now find there is no spark from the mag. I bought a new coil in December and the engine started by hand crank easily. I did not use the tractor all winter and into the spring. Last month it would not start and I thought the valves were stuck like they did last year but now it appears my mag is not firing using a home made spark testing tool and towing the tractor did not produce even a pop either!
Looks like I need to pull the mag and go through it again to see why it is not firing. Since it started and ran this spring and I ran the sickle mower with it for an hour and half just before it quit, I hope there is nothing seriously wrong! This forum will be a godsend for me to remember how to check the assembly of the coil and its component parts, which I can barely remember from when I installed the new coil. I hope it is just the points or something simple! I am 85 age with other health problems so I cannot rely on my memory! I hope to hear from you guys as how to proceed with any advice..............Thanks

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub j4 Magneto

Postby Slim140 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:47 am

Take the cap off and file the contacts/points.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:46 am

Ditto on what Slim140 said. Blow out any possible grit left after cleaning points if you use anything besides a points file. I do so even after using the points file. And recheck gap
Thomas

waynemo
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby waynemo » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:30 pm

Do I have to remove the mag to clean points? I cannot remember how they are accessible.
Right now, I am working on my home made spark tool, it has a broken wire. Seems like all I do is work on my tools and testing equipment!

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:23 pm

waynemo wrote:Do I have to remove the mag to clean points? I cannot remember how they are accessible.
Right now, I am working on my home made spark tool, it has a broken wire. Seems like all I do is work on my tools and testing equipment!

It's been a while since I've been in one but if I remember correctly they are behind the piece (with screws) the cap attaches to with the plug wires. May need to set the timing on your engine and note where the location of the rotor is when you take it off.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:15 pm

With hand crank you should hear the mag click when you give it a swing.
Maybe one click per half revolution of the crank. ( So one click with a "normal" starting pull of the handcrank from six o'clock to twelve o'clock.)
It'll probably click twice per engine crankshaft complete revolution.

If you have the click I wouldn't worry about the magneto yet. Until the points and rotor and cap contacts have been checked for no corrosion ect..
As mentioned check points adjustment and condition. ( Clean looking point contacts I'll drag a clean dollar bills edge though to clean. )

If not your standard ignition stuff , then check into the coil. Then after the coil the mag..

waynemo
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby waynemo » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:35 pm

Forget about all I said about the mag. After I got my spark tool fixed I found I have good spark from the mag. So I am back to the idea my valves are stuck open since it will not pop when pulled or when start fluid is shot into the carb. This is the same thing I had last fall and managed to free them up with various fluids and oil change.
I will next pull the hood and start working on lubricating the area with the plugs removed. I have never worked on a flat head engine bu I guess the real solution is to remove the side plate and maybe even pull the hood to lube the guides, etc. I hate to have to do that! If I can get it running again, I might start it up with an aux tank of gas and let it run all day!
Any way I am glad the mag is ok and don't have to go through that again.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:45 pm

Hi,
I would test the power of the spark the magneto is making.

To do that, first lock the brake pedals together, then lock the brakes applied. If the brakes don't work right, be sure the Cub doesn't roll while doing the spark test.

Remove the ignition wire from the center post on the distributor cap, and hold the wire by the insulation, with the metal end about 1/4" from bare metal of the engine block.
Be sure the transmission is in neutral, turn the ignition switch to on, and run the starter.
The spark should jump the 1/4" gap, be strong, and be blue or white. A yellow spark is weak, and needs improving.
The engine may not run, or run right, with a yellow spark.

Do the test in a building, or not in bright light, so you can see the spark well.
The battery should be fully charged for the spark test. Charge the battery if necessary.
A low output charger is better, it may take several hours to charge it.

You can remove the valve cover, on the left side of the engine an see if any valves are stuck open.
Turn the engine and see if all the valves move up and down.
You can lube the lower ends of the valve stems with spray lube through the valve springs. :)