This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Recent Addition

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jimmler
Zip Code: 93444
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1974 Cub Cadet 149

Recent Addition

Postby Jimmler » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:55 am

This is a bit of a follow up from the New Member section. I picked up a 1947 Cub(#4517) this week. Got it home this past Tuesday and started making a list of what needs to be done. Number 1 priority is to get the engine un-stuck. I knew about the problem going into the deal, so there weren't any surprises in that department. The PO has owned it for about 10 years and said it was running great at that time. The exhaust was capped and the whole thing tarped, but about 6-8 years ago, he went to crank it and it was locked up. Towing it and popping the clutch did not free it up. It was re-capped and re-tarped and has sat until I talked him out of it last week. It was a bunch of horse trading, so neither one of us is out any money.

cub_1947.jpg

Yesterday I took some time to start digging into it to try to eliminate what might be hanging things up. Pulled the starter, no issues there. Tried a pry bar on the ring gear, but no movement. Fan and generator are free to move. I didn't dig into the magneto or governor assemblies. Popped the valve side cover off and there was evidence of some rusty water. Also some stuck valves. At that point, I decided to go ahead and pull the head. Off comes the hood, carb/manifolds, etc. I'm amazed how easy it is to work on this.

Head came off with no issues, but I wasn't too happy about what I saw:
block_view.jpg

block_closeup.jpg

The good news is the liquid in the cylinders is not water. I suspect my friend(PO) probably poured some sort of solvent down the spark plugs in an attempt to free things up and this was probably a good thing. It does look like #2 is the problem child. I'm at a bit of a loss how things got so nasty in there. My friend was pretty diligent about making sure the tractor was sealed up from the weather. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it was a head gasket failure as there was no coolant in the block passages.

Regardless, I've got some work cut out for me. Ultimately, I think I will drop the oil pan and work on popping the pistons out from both ends. I'm not going to feel comfortable putting it back together unless I can get a good look at the cylinder bores. I'm told, the engine was rebuilt prior to my friend purchasing it, so I do have that going for me.

I'll post more info and pics when I have it. Enjoy the long weekend!

-Jim
Last edited by Jimmler on Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jim

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Recent Addition

Postby Barnyard » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:41 pm

Check out this post about one I brought home. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85432&p=680940&hilit=head#p680940
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:26 pm

Welcome to the forum Jim.
I have my grandfather '47 . I'm still working on it from time to time.
Good luck with your project and Enjoy Your Ride.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:35 am

I bought a 65 Loboy in far worse shape than yours looks I unhooked con rods one at a time until I found the offensive cylinder. Then lots of soaking and patience followed by one person here suggestion, wood block and judicious use of a hand sledge. New rings and a flex hone job, and it’s on its 7th or 8th mowing season since. I didn’t even worry much about the wrist pins being a bit high on clearance or the bit of liner pitting. Pulls good and doesn’t use a whole lot of oil…
I did touch up the valves and seats.
Good luck…that iron they used is some tough stuff. You can save it.
Flex hone available for free if you promise to return it.

Jimmler
Zip Code: 93444
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1974 Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jimmler » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:58 am

Another quick update:

I took the angle grinder with a wire wheel to the block surface yesterday after work. It looks a lot better. I'll upload some pics later today. In the meantime, I backed down all the valve lash adjusters to give me maximum room. This allowed me to get a small pry bar in between and lever each valve. Only two would not close under spring tension, but plenty of PB Blaster and continual up/down/rotate got everything freed up. I definitely want to remove the valves and do some clean up and lapping.

I'm not sure if there's any Cub time on today's schedule, although I'm super anxious to pull the pan and see which pistons will move and which ones are going to be a problem. As mentioned before, I think #2 will be the toughest one as none of the solvent had managed to seep past the rings. I did drain the oil last night and I didn't see any water or chunks of anything, so let's hope for the best.

More updates as I have them.....

-Jim
-Jim