This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hand crank not fitting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hand crank not fitting

Postby Clemsonfor » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:16 pm

cpy911 wrote:
Clemsonfor wrote:
cpy911 wrote:Thanks for all of the advice. Just trying to get back to being able to crank. We were just going to use the hand crank as a way to rotate the engine, NOT start it as right now that other welded on pulley creates a dangerous situation.

We pulled the spark plugs, filled holes with rags and put the tractor in 3rd gear. With my son and I putting our weight on rotating the rear wheels, we are able to move the tractor forward about 6" with lots of effort. Does that sound normal? Should it have been easier? I am not sure if the crank is seized?

We also drained the radiator as part of cleaning it up and there was oil in it. I assume that is NOT normal. Could the head gasket (I assume there is one!) be bad?

Thank you.

Maybe I don't understand but why did you fill the cylinders with rags? That stops the pistons travel and defeats the purpose of trying to see if the engine moves and the engine is locked up as it will stop piston movement? This is a truck we do with chainsaws when your trying to get the piston to stop and you don't have a piston stop...for taking off clutches and their nuts. Don't use a rag but use a pull cord feed into the hole and lift the piston till it's stopped by the rope. It's soft and won't cause damage.

Nothing going into engine, just small piece of rag to plug hole to keep dust out, barely goes into combustion chamber...just a plug.

Oh ok, your just worried about sucking dirt and crap in. Would just loosening the plugs a few turns get rid enough compression to make it spin easier....these aren't high compression engines anyway.

cpy911
Zip Code: 97045

Postby cpy911 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:23 pm

Do this while in 3rd gear?
Eugene wrote:
cpy911 wrote:My son and I putting our weight on rotating the rear wheels, we are able to move the tractor forward about 6" with lots of effort. Does that sound normal? Should it have been easier? I am not sure if the crank is seized?
OH Boy! Should search this site.
Jack up one rear wheel. Rotate the rear tire forward, hard, until it stops, then back until it stops. Watch the fan for any movement.

Since the engine rotated previously. Search for something stuck. Fan? Valves? Starter? Piston?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:41 pm

cpy911 wrote:Do this while in 3rd gear?
Eugene wrote:
cpy911 wrote:My son and I putting our weight on rotating the rear wheels, we are able to move the tractor forward about 6" with lots of effort. Does that sound normal? Should it have been easier? I am not sure if the crank is seized?
OH Boy! Should search this site.
Jack up one rear wheel. Rotate the rear tire forward, hard, until it stops, then back until it stops. Watch the fan for any movement.

Since the engine rotated previously. Search for something stuck. Fan? Valves? Starter? Piston?
You can do this in any gear. 3rd gear works best because you have more torque on the crankshaft.

Did you make sure all the valves are working/free?
I have an excuse. CRS.