This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sick to my stomach

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joeandmack
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 03303
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Sick to my stomach

Postby Joeandmack » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:58 pm

After learning to use taps and dyes the manifold was all fixed up, primed and back on the cub. I was putting the hood back on to fire it up and to drive it into the garage and finish up my work there, when I think I nailed my foot to the floor. I screwed the bolts that hold the hood on to the radiator supports in too far and started to see coolant leaking. Ive taken the supports off and see a number of little pin holes thanks to me augering right in (no cussing occurred but I was sick to my stomach). Would slathering JB weld in there be a possible fix? Or should I fill the hole with solder and hope I close the pin holes (never soldered before by the way)? I know I could buy a new radiator or take it to a shop, but it seems I might be making more work for myself each time I take something off not looking to break the bank either. Appreciate any help or advice.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Sick to my stomach

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:57 pm

Soldering would be fast and efficient, depending on the hole size. Decent sized soldering iron, solder, flux, sand paper, $35- range. Really don't know the current price, inflation.

Not a lot of practice to be able to solder. And you should be able to do it without removing the radiator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:23 pm

If you have a decent radiator shop (almost extinct nowadays!), and a trailer, you might try taking it to a shop.

Or maybe a friend who is a plumber, and already has the tools and skill to solder it.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:45 pm

Hi,
The Cub parts manual says the bolts holding the hood on at the front are 5/16" bolts, x 1/2 inch long, coarse threads, with lock washers. They can't be too long, the radiator is there.

Joeandmack
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Joeandmack » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:08 pm

Yes Glen I think I confirmed the radiator was there. Leaning towards using JB weld, but a good argument could sway me to shell out the extra dollars and solder instead. Regardless once I think I have patched my blundering error, I was thinking of testing it with water before putting antifreeze in. I have a bunch of dust covered Gallons of Poland Spring jugs in the cellar, would that be fine to run through the radiator to check for leaks, or should I use distilled water? I am going to test it and then fill it with coolant if I can fix it, so the water won’t be in long regardless. If I can’t fix it then it’ll be comparing the cost of the nearest radiator shop to a new radiator. I’ll make sure to use a half inch 5/16 bolt the second time around….insert grumbles about the hood attachment here…. Appreciate the advice and patience you all have for this greenhorn nimrod.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:35 pm

Any water would be fine for testing. You just want to premix antifreeze 50/50 when you mount it as the Cub doesn't have a water pump and a thermosyphon system is not great for mixing water and full strength antifreeze.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:02 pm

I ALMOST did the same thing on my 1st cub! The only thing that saved me was that I hit the fins & heard the crunching noise before I punctured the tubes!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:29 am

I would solder the repair….not saying JB Weld can’t hold up the repair however the constant heat cycle can cause the material to break down over time. A little solder and flux the repair can be quicker than removing the hood!

NJ farmer

You’ll never make that mistake EVER again….don’t worry we have all been there but some of us will never admit!

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:57 am

I would try and solder if I could.

I use a propane torch for my soldering.

Same torch I use if I am going to sweat copper pipes!

Gotta use flux too. The same kind that is used for copper pipes works great!

Ps.
Dont buy the water based flux, it is not very forgiving to being overheated. Get the petroleum based flux!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Joeandmack
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Joeandmack » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:11 pm

Thank you everybody. You all convinced me to solder it. Picked up a torch, solder and flux this morning. Practiced on some odds and ends to get a hang for it. You all are right it isn’t that hard. And I think it will be more precise than JB weld would have been. I poured water in the radiator and watched it seep out appears to only be on the drivers right side on the inside of the first vertical tube. I didn’t see any water weeping on the left. Hope to find the holes tomorrow.

bofahs
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 31522
Tractors Owned: 1965 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Postby bofahs » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:37 pm

Well, you're doing the right thing. Now, first things first - CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN is the secret to excellent soldering. On this job, a little pad of Scotch-Brite would be perfect for cleaning.

Then, a little touch of Stay Clean flux - just where you want the solder to be. Heat the spot where the hole is, and the tip of the solder at the same time. Just as the solder starts to melt, touch it to the hole and then pull the torch and solder away. Should flow over the spot and fix it.

Best of luck!

phill_mi
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49435
Tractors Owned: '47 Ford 2N (with '50 8N motor)
'48 Farmall Cub
C22 sickle
'52 Ferguson TO-30
'63 Farmall 560 gas with loader

Postby phill_mi » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:16 pm

I would also drain the coolant down away from the point to be soldered so that it does not absorb the heat which is needed for a proper soldered solution. Agree with Clean, Clean, Clean for any soldering project!