This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

fuse replacement electrical 1966 IH Cub low boy

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scott 1234
Zip Code: 07461

fuse replacement electrical 1966 IH Cub low boy

Postby Scott 1234 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:29 pm

morning.
i doing several repairs at same time .
one is electrical.
[lights never worked when i bought it. prior owner told me "they worked fine till it was all power washed for sale".

first issue. the fuse holder on panel. looks bad. needs replacement [very hard to get the cap back in to stay].
for the life of me i cant figure out how to remove it?
i was able to get one bolt [of 2] holder control panel out [on exhaust pipe side. the other holding bolt on panel is on side where brake is. and boy you cant get a wrench in there at all [[ ihave the hood off already]. the wires and switch etc. are all in the way. and i really dont want to start taking evreythinig off just to get that bolt]
also. yes i see there is a nut on inside , which appears to hold the fuse holder in place. but again. there is No way to get a wrench in there.
any way to get the fuse holder out. and replace it.. easily please :0)
thanks.
scott.

p.s. before i got to this stage.. as a side note.. i was able to get the lights to work for a minute or so.. but i "think" i smell smoke comng from dash board panel.. didnt see where. i turned off switch. at tht point...prior to this i had blown out all the dust and hay and such from that whole back panel area. prob hadnt been cleaned in Years.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: fuse replacement electrical 1966 IH Cub low boy

Postby Glen » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:45 pm

Hi,
Yes, the nut on the back of the fuse holder holds it in the dash.
I would disconnect the battery ground cable before working behind the dash, to avoid shorting the system.
A 3/8" drive ratchet with a long extension probably gets to the 2 bolts holding the dash onto the clutch housing. Put 2 or more extensions together if you don't have a long extension.
Then the ratchet is above the dash, and you can turn it.

For the nut on the fuse holder, when you get the dash loose at its base, you might be able to turn it so its bottom is out to the left. You probably need to remove the choke rod to turn it.
But the large battery cables are there on the push button switch, so you might need to remove those from the switch.
Then maybe use an open end wrench on the nut.

The 1966 LoBoy should be 12 volt, with negative ground.
TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has a new 12 volt fuse holder.
Below is the listing.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/376fp.htm

It says in the LoBoy operator's manual the fuse holder for the 12 volt system uses a 10 amp fuse.

If you turned the light switch to the first position to the right of Off, that is Dim front lights.
There is a resister on the light switch to make the lights dim, it heats up some when the lights are on Dim. You might have smelled that.
Be sure the resister isn't bent so it is touching anything.
It may smell for a few minutes if it hasn't been used, until oil or dust burn off of it.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor, showing the back of the switch, and the resistor, it is the coil of wire. :)
Attachments
Cub light switch 3.jpg
Cub light switch 3.jpg (17.05 KiB) Viewed 196 times

Scott 1234
Zip Code: 07461

Postby Scott 1234 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:45 am

morning glenn.
yours is very useful.
a.. the smell.. ok. so that coil. i always wondered what that was for.. ok. so it should not touch anything? ok [i know there may have been Hay or dust in it.. ill check]
b. dang i cant get those lower bolts out.. no how..what about this idea..can i SOMEhow get the broekn fuse holder out from the front [i know messy] i mean,, that nutin back is inaccesbile really. and looks almost painted on [so not a simple twist] im thinking.. the fuse holde front must only have a thin metal or plastic rim tht holds it from the front. right? what if i simply {?] try to turn /twist/break off :0/ whatever from front? maybe not. hmm. or at same time maybe.. hmmm. remove the two connector wires, and try to turn the holder itself [not the nut] from the back and sort of unscrew from there.? :0/ something to get it out. to put in a new one... in the old hole.... thoughts. [yeh i know not the right way to fix sometinig ]

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:18 am

Use a long extension and a socket to remove the bolts that hold the dash to the torque tube.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:41 am

If you don’t have a full tank of gas, you can take the complete gas tank of by yourself, It’s not really that hard to do. Once you do have the tank off you will be able to get to everything very easy, change the plugs compression test adjust the fan belts generator belts oil the generator. But we have a saying that says oh no he took the hood off meaning you will find all kinds of things that you want to fix change or adjust.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:32 am

Mike in Louisiana wrote:If you don’t have a full tank of gas, you can take the complete gas tank of by yourself.
Yup, that's what I would do. Drain the gas tank and remove it.

It will also let you look things over, fix a few things, and conduct compression tests.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:28 am

sgarrettnj05@gmail.com wrote:... [[ ihave the hood off already]...

Looks like he has the hood problem solved.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:59 pm

If you are unable to get to the right-hand panel bolt, you may need to remove the clip holding the battery cable and taillight wires, attached at the bottom right of the panel. the nut on the back of the bolt holding it on blocks access to the panel bolt. That clip is ALSO a pain to remove and especially reinstall!! But I always need to take it off.

This is the clip I am referring to:
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/534fp.htm

When I am TRYING to put that right bolt back in, I put something (paper, tape, etc.) in the socket with the bolt head so that the bolt stays inline, in place and can be installed without falling out. A few choice words have been expressed during this whole operation!! A test of our patience! :lol:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”