This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Slow Cub Mowing 59c

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
drmathieu
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22473
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub

1953 Farmall Cub

2015 Bobcat CT225

Slow Cub Mowing 59c

Postby drmathieu » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:23 am

I added a 59 C mower deck to my Cub about a month ago. When I get the mower out on the field, I engage the PTO and try to cut grass... short grass, and the mower will start to stall out after I get to any grass higher than 4 inches tall. I have checked the carburetor (bought a new one) and removed the old fuel filter and replaced the line the is a straight fuel line and no filter. This helped a tiny bit. The Cub still stalls when I get into any grass taller the say 6 inches. I also greased the mower deck... Any thoughts?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Slow Cub Mowing 59c

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:14 am

Have you done a compression check to determine engine condition?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Ky Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 41094

Postby Ky Cub » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:24 am

Sharpen the blades, but more than likely your cub motor is just tired, might be time for a serious rebuild. It takes a pretty strong cub to operate this type of mower.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:30 am

It takes a VERY healthy Cub, and perfect circumstances, to run a 59" mower full width in thick tall healthy grass. Everything has to be perfect. Mower blades sharp. Spindles free. Belt not too tight or too loose. Deck pitched forward precisely 1/2" lower in front. Valves set to factory spec. Timing just right. Governor working.

Even with all that, your Cub's engine may be too worn and tired to run the mower in that heavy grass. You may have to take a 2/3 or 1/2 width pass to get through.

Whoever had the idea of running a 59" mower deck on Cubs was somewhat optimistic. That, or grass wasn't as thick and lush back then as it is now. A Cub would have been much better served with a 48" deck, but the only choices were 42", which doesn't cover the wheel tracks, and 59" which is a bit too much much of the time...

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:20 am

Have you verified that the governor is responding properly? If it doesn't open the throttle under heavier load, you won't get far.

Did you readjust the governor to carburetor linkage after you replaced the carburetor? It out of adjustment will keep the governor from working right.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:04 pm

every one is right, make sure you have a strong, good compression engine, tune up is correct, valves adjusted, carb and linkage adjusted, i live on hills and use a late cub with the higher horse power and same mower, it can climb hill s in 2 nd gear mowing no issue where the early cubs had to stay in 1st gear also the PTO pulley needs to be about 6 1/2 " not the 8 ", big pulley robs a lot of power

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:45 pm

You also have to remember back to when the tractors were new. Gas was cheap,in my case being a kid, labor was cheap, you'd just cut the grass more often so it never got out of hand. Every now and then I still do it if I have the time- lawn really looks nice when your done. This time of the year though the grass seems to be limp,never cuts as nice as it does in the spring.

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:27 am

As mentioned , a Cub needs to be dialed in to get all you can out of it.

Sharp blades , 1st gear , R.P.M.'s up. A slow mowing dry four inches shouldn't bog you out to a stall with sharp blades.
(There are tougher stemmed weeds that can be dense.)
You get bogging , check that you're discharging and not re-chopping or building up clumps to get hit by blades.
Failing that , take a half a deck width cut and winnow so you don't recut debris.
If no problem ,then try 3/4 deck width onto uncut grass.

Was float height checked on your new carb?