This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Success!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
xrcr
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 63348
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
1957 Farmall 400
1973 Farmall IH544

Success!

Postby xrcr » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:45 pm

So the 55 not 53 Lo boy( thanks Eugene) that got dropped off, came to life tonight. I'm a Shade Tree mechanic at best, but think I can figure anything out....
Started off with spark or lack there of issues. Think it was a suspect aftermarket ignition switch and loose condenser clamp so had fire, still no noise. Checked compression... Aha 2 had none 3&4 good didn't know about 1 'cause cannot get plug out....yet. Valve cover came off and freed up 1 and 2 intake, still no noise. Checked valve clearance all 8 were tight, guessing .010ish since I had to loosen everyone 1/8 plus turns to get .013. Not sure how valves tighten up after sitting for 4+ years, when it ran fine when I parked it?? Bottom line is I cranked it a few times and she lit. Wondered what that noise was for a split second and then may have cracked a smile. I appreciate all the insight this group shares and that you all put up with novices like me. Thanks to Bob McCarty for sending me a weep hole plug and rod clips gratis. Best Cub site for sure
Jim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Success!

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:52 pm

You can pull the wire and out a plug into the #1 and just leave the stuck plug or if you have one of those inline $3 light bulb spark testor a you can check that way or just jam a screw driver into the wire and hold it close to a metal ground.

Return to “Farmall Cub”