This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Head Removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Head Removal

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:25 pm

SamsFarm wrote:How any penetrant is expected to work on a thread that "supposedly" sealed to prevent antifreeze from leaking out is beyond me! . . .

If a sealer had been used, the bolt is much less likely to be stuck. Rephrasing, stuck bolts are less likely to have been assembled with sealer in the first place.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

goxu1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 2756
eBay ID: dog525
Tractors Owned: 1957 CUB

Postby goxu1 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:51 pm

The only 2 bolts to come out were on the manifold side.
I don't think these go into the water jacket , right ?
If that's the case , it might be safe to assume the rest are stuck due to rust on the bottom of the bolt

I cut the heads off all the bolts sticking up. I'd been using an impact on them for weeks and getting nowhere
Next step is to weld a nut on a couple and see what happens.
The 4 or 5 that broke off close to the block have about 1/8' still sticking up which is better than below the deck I guess.
If welding a nut doesn't work , then I'll make up a drill guide that drops into the hole in the head and go from there.
Cripes - I thought I'd never get one.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:45 pm

Looks like you could thread the longer ones and double nut if you have a tap and die set. The short ones that stick a little above the deck will need a nut welded on them.

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:26 pm

I mentioned before that welding a nut onto it can case harden the bolt, so if the nut breaks off, you may have a hell of a time trying to drill it. If you do weld a nut on, let it cool, naturally and completely before trying to remove it. Don't quench it.

On the longer ones, I would quench them and try immediately after quenching to remove them. If the nut breaks off, then try again and let them cool naturally.

goxu1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 2756
eBay ID: dog525
Tractors Owned: 1957 CUB

Postby goxu1 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:36 am

indy61 wrote:Looks like you could thread the longer ones and double nut if you have a tap and die set. The short ones that stick a little above the deck will need a nut welded on them.

If they are rusted in like the ones that snapped off at block level , won’t “double nutting” them do the same ?
Cripes - I thought I'd never get one.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:51 am

goxu1 wrote:If they are rusted in like the ones that snapped off at block level , won’t “double nutting” them do the same ?

You can try to move them in both directions now. If you get any movement at all they should come out.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:05 am

goxu1 wrote:
If they are rusted in like the ones that snapped off at block level , won’t “double nutting” them do the same ?

Good chance of that. Trying to thread them to double nut seems counter productive when there are tools like pipe wrenches, stud removers, vice grips, and the weld the nut trick available!

I think in past posts, that you don't have a acetylene torch. ???

Not saying you should run out and buy one, but maybe borrow one.

I would heat the screws up till they glowed, let them cool, then try a pipe wrench on them.

If I did not have the torch, I would probably still try the pipe wrench. Seems there is not much to loose at this point.

At this point if you have to drill them out, well you have to drill them out, and might as well get it over with.

However the weld the nut trick might put enough heat into it to break the rust bond
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:33 pm

tmays wrote:If the bolt heads did actually break and weren’t cut, then I agree with Gary. May not be a problem. Welding a nut to the ones that won’t come out would be the next thing to do. But I will offer my opinion that penetrant does nothing in a case like this. It won’t get to the threads.

The ones that are long, had the heads cut off.

The ones that are short, twisted off.

I agree that penetrant is a waste of penetrant at this point. I would be making a trip to Tractor Supply to get a pound of cheap 5/8 nuts, and getting out the welder. After I learned that weld-a-nut trick and first used it to get the broke off bolts out of the final drives on my old Cub Loboy, I have been hooked. IF there's any stub sticking out at all, sometimes even if there's a bolt head still there, I quit wasting time and weld on a nut.

Now you might be able to use a Jimmy Diresta trick if you lack a welder or an oxygen-acetylene torch. He uses multiple Bernz-o-matic propane torches focused on the same spot to get the BTUs to heat metal to red hot. In lieu of a welder, I would concentrate 2-3 propane torches on each bolt at the block surface, get the bolt red hot, then let it cool. Then latch on with a pair of vise grips and give it a try.

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:33 pm

I don't know if burning them out with an oxy/acetylene cutting torch would work here. I have burned out broken bolts out of cast iron and chased the threads with a tap. The thread were always left intact in the few that I did.

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:59 pm

Load her up and take her into town. Someone in Sydney must have a EDM machine

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:22 pm

Don’t mess with vice grips.
If it’s time to apply some brute force, use a pipe wrench. As long as it’s facing the right direction, it’ll bite right in and won’t slip. The bolts are already toast, so it won’t matter that they get chewed up in the process.
I would use heat first, though, to weaken the bond.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:17 pm

Gary S. wrote:Load her up and take her into town. Someone in Sydney must have a EDM machine

Thats funny!

Have you ever run a EDM?
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub purchased 1960
'59 International Lo-Boy purchased 1987
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:32 am

No I had heard they are used to remove broken taps and bolts though-

Metal disintegration machining
Several manufacturers produce EDM machines for the specific purpose of removing broken cutting tools and fasteners from work pieces. In this application, the process is termed "metal disintegration machining" or MDM. The metal disintegration process removes only the center of the broken tool or fastener, leaving the hole intact and allowing a part to be reclaimed.

52DAVE
Zip Code: 49401

Postby 52DAVE » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:08 pm

To remove a broken bolt on the intake of my 67 Buick I was told to heat the casting up good and hot then take a candle and melt some of the wax on the bolt. As the casting cools the wax will be puled down into the threads. Once cool weld a weld nut on top of the bolt. It worked like a charm.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:32 pm

Gary S. wrote:No I had heard they are used to remove broken taps and bolts though-

Metal disintegration machining
Several manufacturers produce EDM machines for the specific purpose of removing broken cutting tools and fasteners from work pieces. In this application, the process is termed "metal disintegration machining" or MDM. The metal disintegration process removes only the center of the broken tool or fastener, leaving the hole intact and allowing a part to be reclaimed.

Most of your basic edm machines found in a tool & die / injection mold shop has a magnetic chuck in a tank on the machine. Most common use is for complex shapes not easily made in other forms of machining

The tank is needed to keep the workpiece submerged in a special oil.

Generally a electrode of carbon (sometimes copper and carbide) is used.

The oil is needed to flush away the particles and also to keep the spark contained in the oil.

If the gas produced by the arc mixes with the sparks in the open air, it makes a fire.

Finding a edm big enough to work the block of a Cub engine while probably not impossible, but probably prove really hard to find. $$$ per hour would probably prohibitive!

That said there are some portables made, could be rigged up to on a cub. Whether there is one close by???

Second thing to consider is a edm is not the fastest way to go, but probably the most expensive. The process can be really slow!

Now if Mr goxu1 had broken taps in his block, then that might be his only option. But with his broken head screws, drilling would be much easier if it comes to that.
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Return to “Farmall Cub”