This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Not so new to the group

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hoopy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Not so new to the group

Postby Hoopy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:16 am

Greeting. My last post was in 2004. Speaks to the reliability of a cub, and not my mechanical ability.

My cub is a 1950 (serial number 101890). I purchase it without a generator and have been operating it as such ever since.
Having watched one of Rachel's great U tube videos and this being January, I decided to engage in some overdo maintenance/upgrades.
Not wanting to buy new, I have a used generator and cutout arriving soon.
I believe my vintage of cub came with a generator, a cutout/ relay and a 4 position switch.
My generator-less cub has a 3 position switch which leads me to believe it had at one point a volt regulator, perhaps itself upgraded by the pervious owner.
My question: should I hook up a generator with a cut out to a 3 position switch? Or should I match the cutout to a 4 position switch or match the 3 position switch to a volt regulator? Your input would be valued.

Next, I find the various wiring harnesses sold on line expensive. Are they worth it or should I build my own with 10 and 14 g wire?

Thanks,

John

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Not so new to the group

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:30 am

Welcome back. I'd be careful about putting too much reliance on Rachel's videos. They are full of inaccuracies.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:51 am

Brillman makes a good wiring harness. However, making your own will save you a little money depending on if you want originality or something just to get you by. I agree with Don's comment on Rachel. Her recommendation to drill a hole in the bottom of a carb for idle tube replacement was not good advice.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:19 pm

Barnyard wrote:Brillman makes a good wiring harness. However, making your own will save you a little money depending on if you want originality or something just to get you by.
If you don't use the lights or wire them up you can save a fair amount by doing the wiring yourself.

Wiring harnes comes with a wiring diagram. Easier to install.

I would have installed a 12 volt single wire alternator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:52 pm

You are correct, at that serial number it would have originally had a cut-out and a 4 position switch. As a point of clarification, 4 positions on the switch includes the off positions. It will click 3 times turning it from one extreme to the other. If you have a 3 position switch and a cut-out, you will loose operator control over the charge rate. Depending on how you use the tractor, grounding the generator field at the generator may be an acceptable option. The main thing is to make sure all connections (and grounds!) are clean and secure with whatever components you use.

Do you have a magneto or battery ignition? With a magneto, I'm not sure if you would have mounting interference between it and a voltage regulator.

The wiring harness is a matter of choice. The early harness only has about 4 wires, not hard to do yourself. On the other hand, with 2 wire gauges and a preference for not duplicating wire colors, you end up with a roll of wire for each of the 4. Add in connectors etc. and you may not be saving much vs. the cost of buying.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:56 pm

Hoopy wrote:Greeting. My last post was in 2004

Thats quite a span between posts. :shock:
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Hoopy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hoopy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:55 pm

Jim Becker wrote:You are correct, at that serial number it would have originally had a cut-out and a 4 position switch. As a point of clarification, 4 positions on the switch includes the off positions. It will click 3 times turning it from one extreme to the other. If you have a 3 position switch and a cut-out, you will loose operator control over the charge rate. Depending on how you use the tractor, grounding the generator field at the generator may be an acceptable option. The main thing is to make sure all connections (and grounds!) are clean and secure with whatever components you use.

Do you have a magneto or battery ignition? With a magneto, I'm not sure if you would have mounting interference between it and a voltage regulator.

The wiring harness is a matter of choice. The early harness only has about 4 wires, not hard to do yourself. On the other hand, with 2 wire gauges and a preference for not duplicating wire colors, you end up with a roll of wire for each of the 4. Add in connectors etc. and you may not be saving much vs. the cost of buying.

First, I do have a magneto.
Next, if I understand your comment, proceeding with a 3 position switch and a cutout I would need to turn the switch (O,D, B) to dim or bright periodically to engage the generator and charge the battery. Is that accurate?

Hoopy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hoopy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:39 pm

Jim Becker wrote:You are correct, at that serial number it would have originally had a cut-out and a 4 position switch. As a point of clarification, 4 positions on the switch includes the off positions. It will click 3 times turning it from one extreme to the other. If you have a 3 position switch and a cut-out, you will loose operator control over the charge rate. Depending on how you use the tractor, grounding the generator field at the generator may be an acceptable option. The main thing is to make sure all connections (and grounds!) are clean and secure with whatever components you use.

Based on your thorough comments, I re-examined the switch and it is a 4 position unit. So with my new-to me generator and cut-out which arrived today, I am ready to get the lights working-- after I buy a new light bulb which I blew out with a 12 volt automotive tester.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:15 pm

Hi,
IH used the 4 position charge and light switch with the cutout, or Relay, IH called it, system. The Relay is on top of the generator, up to Cub serial number 115403.
The switch positions are L H D B. Low charge, High charge, Dim front lights, Bright lights.
You have to choose the charge rate yourself.
How to use the switch is in the 1950 Cub owner's manual, in the electrical section.

The 3 position switch was used with the voltage regulator system, serial number 115403 and above, up to serial number 210000.
The switch is for only the lights.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the back of the 4 position switch, the 3 position switch is different.
Below is a wiring diagram for the Relay system, if you need it. :)
Attachments
Cub switch 3.jpg
cubwire.jpg

Hoopy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Hoopy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:08 am

Thanks for the wiring diagram

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:11 am

I have 2 '48 cubs that l made wiring harnesses for. Fairly easy to do using the diagram that Glen posted. Nothing against those that you can buy except price and time. It probably took me less than 3 hrs to make one and l found that the wire end connectors that have the "shrinkable" insulation sleeves were great. Just crimp, hit it with a lighter and move on.

Good luck with your project.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?: