This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fast hitch bail angle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Fast hitch bail angle

Postby smallfarm » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:56 pm

I have found an easier way to solve my fast hitch Wagner loader dilemma —I think. I need to know about what angle the bail is when using a moldboard plow. I know this is somewhat variable but I need a point of reference as what I have tacked together may still interfere with the loader mount if the bail is a few degrees up in the front. There is a workaround for this problem but I want to leave everything at a point where it can be put back to original easily.
Thanks
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fast hitch bail angle

Postby Glen » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:05 pm

Hi,
The 1955 Cub operator's manual has pics of the Fast Hitch bail, and the height adjustments.
Below is the page.
The Fast Hitches then had the lever to the right side of the seat, and adjustment links at the bail, they have holes in several heights.
The position for plowing makes the bail about level with the ground, on a level floor, with the lever fully up. Then the front of the bail can go down as you move the lever ahead.
IH changed them to the crank adjustment a few years later. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2020.jpg

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:56 pm

smallfarm wrote:I have found an easier way to solve my fast hitch Wagner loader dilemma

I see 3 ways for that!

1) Buy another non fast-hitch Cub to mount the loader onto.

2) Sell the current loader you have and get one made for a Fast-Hitch tractor.
3) Forget about having a loader on a Cub at all.

I would think that Wagner would have engineered a universal fit model for fast hitch or non fast hitch tractors, once the fast hitch was on the market!

If so, I would be looking to copy that instead of reinventing the Fast-Hitch as IH designed and made it!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:33 pm

Now that I read Glen's response, it sparked a memory.

As I recall the bail on my fast hitch is about level with the ground with the tractor sitting on level ground when it's adjusted for plowing.

I'm guessing that you are simply going to make a bracket that holds the bail in a fixed position and forego the depth control entirely. If that's the case you're not really changing the fast hitch at all.

Also if I'm not mistaken Wagner was pretty much out of the loader business by 1960. Newer box tube loaders were starting to come on the market and their dated pipe loader designs were, well, dated... With the Cub loader not being a big seller, and the Cub Fast Hitch not being hugely popular in the first few years, I suspect that there was little incentive to update the loader to accommodate the Cub Fast hitch.

Heck, the IH 1000 loader doesn't even accommodate it. You have to remove the bail entirely and install a crossbar on the loader frame.