This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Order of operations

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joeandmack
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 03303
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Order of operations

Postby Joeandmack » Wed May 10, 2023 10:37 am

Plan on lining my gas tank with red kote. I Also plan on painting the exterior of the tank. The exterior of the tank has a little surface rust and a thin layer of pinkish red paint. I plan on sanding with sand paper and wire wheels before priming and painting (using cans for both). Which course of action do you think should come first, and why? In my mind as long as I am careful and clean in both operations, it wouldn’t make a hill of beans worth of difference, but what do I know? I value people’s experiences and thoughts. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Order of operations

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 10, 2023 11:12 am

Do the inside first. You aren't going to damage the inside while refinishing the outside. But there will be opportunities to do cosmetic damage to the outside while working on the inside.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed May 10, 2023 11:33 am

Inside/Redkot first. It may take a couple days for the Redkot to fully cure. You can work on the outside of the tank as Redkot cures, but remember uncured Redkot is flammable.
I have an excuse. CRS.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Wed May 10, 2023 1:11 pm

I've never used Red Kote or any fuel tank liners. I would like to know how well it holds up after a few years. Most reviews are shortly after use.
I think if my tank was badly rusted inside I would try to have it done professionally. Mine wasn't too bad but it did have some rust flakes floating around that would clog the fuel outlet occasionally. I went with an in-tank filter instead and it has worked very well.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed May 10, 2023 3:23 pm

I did my standard Cub's tank with Redkot way back when, 15 years ago? Still holding up. Still thinking. I did several fuel tanks in Iowa and that was over 30 years ago. I've done smaller tanks such as the Cub Cadet tanks and a walk behind tractor.

Be sure the Redkot is fully cured. Set tank in sun for several days. Gasoline to soon and it will dissolve the Redkote.

You are going to have more than enough Redkote for the Cub's tank, so, at the same time, do another smaller tank. Leftovers do not store.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu May 11, 2023 7:53 am

I agree, do the Red Coat first. When applying the liner, you will be rolling the tank around a good bit, to get the entire inside covered. It’s best not to be doing that with a fresh painted tank.