This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall cub 22 sickle mower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Leovank15
Zip Code: B6l5e6

Farmall cub 22 sickle mower

Postby Leovank15 » Fri May 12, 2023 5:08 am

Hi all, recently picked up a cub 22 sickle mower and I'm having some issues with the pto shaft, both the pullys dont seem to line up in the back the sickle mower shaft seems to be ahead by an inch or so from the pully on the pto and its causing the pto shaft to work its way out then it'll slip out if gear. Any ideas?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Farmall cub 22 sickle mower

Postby tmays » Fri May 12, 2023 5:40 am

Pics of your setup would help with the mower Pto shaft should not work its way out. Will need to remove it to find the problem there.
Thomas

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Fri May 12, 2023 5:00 pm

Hi,
On many Cubs, the PTO shaft is held tight in the housing by staking the shaft, ahead of the rear ball bearing. If the staking is not big enough, the shaft can move in the ball bearing, to the rear.
You should remove the PTO and repair the staking, so the shaft can't move forward or back.
TM Tractor at the bottom of the page has new PTO parts, if you need any. Their pics in the listings show what the parts are.
Below are pics from TM Tractor of the PTO.
The 2nd pic shows the PTO shaft and bearing out of the housing. The bearing should be against where the shaft is a bigger size.
The 3rd pic shows the staking. There is originally about 3 stakes around the shaft. Use a hammer and punch to make the staking. If the bearing is worn, you should replace it before staking the shaft.
There is an oil seal at the rear of the housing too.
I sent you a PM, you get to it at the top of the page. :)
Attachments
Cub PTO 7.jpg
Cub PTO 6.jpg
Cub PTO.jpg

Leovank15

Postby Leovank15 » Sat May 13, 2023 9:20 am

Thank you I will look into it farther, i replaced the pto shaft last year so it is new.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sat May 13, 2023 4:25 pm

Hi,
Thanks for saying you replaced the PTO shaft.
You didn't say the year of the Cub.
Most of what I wrote above is info for the original PTO shaft an older Cub would have.
IH changed the PTO shaft later, it uses a snap ring ahead of the rear ball bearing.
If you replaced the shaft with a new shaft, the shafts TM Tractor sells have the snap ring, there is no staking used.
I don't know where you bought the new PTO shaft, or if it has the snap ring.
If it has the snap ring, the shaft should not move forward and back.
Below is the listing, you can look at the pic. The shaft has a groove in it for the snap ring.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/514fp.htm

Below is a listing for a new PTO rear bearing, it shows the snap ring.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/155fp.htm

If your old PTO shaft didn't have the snap ring, and you reused the old bearing on the new shaft, you might not have had a snap ring to put on the new shaft. It looks like the snap ring doesn't come with the new shaft.
You can probably buy a snap ring at an auto parts store, NAPA or others.
You would need to remove the PTO clutch at the front of the PTO shaft to put the snap ring on.

Leovank15

Postby Leovank15 » Tue May 16, 2023 5:50 pm

I will look into that yes there was no snap ring on my other shaft so i didn't put one on the new one, this is great to know and will solve my issue for sure.

Thanks

Return to “Farmall Cub”