This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Differential bearing change out

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jrogers885
Zip Code: 77379

Differential bearing change out

Postby jrogers885 » Fri May 26, 2023 7:05 am

Rebuilding the final drives on my 49 cub, starting with the left side. Changed all bearing and seals and all has gone pretty smooth. Remove the differential bearing retainer to change out the o-ring as well as the oil seal. Bearing doesn't look too good so i thought i should change it out also if it's not a momentous task. Couple of questions, can the bearing be removed without effecting the differential and if so what kind of puller would be used. I have attached a picture (i hope) of the bearing and doesn't look like many spots to grab hold of it. I am sure this is not the first time this has come up, unless it's an obvious answer, but i have not been able to locate anything.

DifferentialBearing.jpg

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Re: Differential bearing change out

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Fri May 26, 2023 9:41 am

Looks like that bearing is deep inside a recess, in which case, you'll probably only be able to get it with a split collar style bearing puller.

Like this - https://www.doctordiff.com/differential ... uller.html

You won't need the whole set, but you may have trouble finding the individual puller you need without buying a kit.

jrogers885

Postby jrogers885 » Fri May 26, 2023 10:13 am

Thanks a lot will see what i can find. I assume by pulling the bearing will have no effect on the differential.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Fri May 26, 2023 4:45 pm

Hi,
The parts in the transmission and differential can get a slight rusted look, brown, from the moisture that commonly gets in the Cub trans housing.
If the bearing, or bearings you are working on don't have pits or rusted away places on them, or look worn from use over the years, they may not need replacing.
Feel the rollers and see if they are smooth.
If the bearings are still good, it's easier to use them more, my opinion.
Below is the Cub and LoBoy service manual, it has lots of info.
There is a contents beginning on page 1 of most sections, it makes it easier to use online.

https://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.cle ... index.html

The manual was made in the 1970's, so it has newer 12 volt system info in it.
After putting on one or both bearings there, there is one on the right also, you may need to adjust the shims at the retainer.
That means changing the thickness, or number of shims.
You can look at the manual, and see what it says about that.
If you have to hammer to put the new bearing on there, it will be hammering on the bearing that is on the right side, it is the same type of bearing. Probably not good to hammer there. :)
Last edited by Glen on Sat May 27, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrogers885

Postby jrogers885 » Fri May 26, 2023 8:51 pm

Thanks those were my thoughts also. Bearing rollers seem to be smooth, maybe just a little sloppy. Sounds like i will just leave be, this tractor surely won't we over worked. If i find the right side is bad i can come back and replace both and adjust the shims if needed. Thanks again for the great info.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat May 27, 2023 6:15 am

I can’t tell much from the pic but if the outer race is smooth, with no pits and the rollers are also smooth with no pits, I would consider the bearing useable. If you do need to replace, I would consider a differential tear down and replace both sides. As long as the original shims are kept in their original locations, no real set-up is needed.

jrogers885

Postby jrogers885 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:53 am

Thanks a lot. I would assume a differential tear down would mean splitting the tractor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:30 pm

jrogers885 wrote:Thanks a lot. I would assume a differential tear down would mean splitting the tractor

Hi,
The service manual I posted above tells about working on the differential.
Page 7-8 says the countershaft, or lower shaft in the transmission should be out of the trans, to set the bearing preload of the differential bearings.
The Cub needs splitting, and the trans removed to take the countershaft out.
If the 2 bearings on the sides of the differential are still good, it's easier to use them more.

Below is a picture, it looks like the differential does come out when the left and right final drives, and right side extension are off, and the 2 bearing retainers are removed. It doesn't need splitting to remove the differential. :)
Attachments
Cub trans 24.jpg
Cub trans 24.jpg (51.92 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Last edited by Glen on Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:24 pm

I'll repeat some of what Gary said. I wouldn't replace the bearings unless they really need it. If you keep the shims all where they were, you are preserving the old set-up. You shouldn't need to change it.

I believe you can pull the differential to change the bearings without removing the lower transmission shaft. So no split needed.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:36 am

Right, Jim, I’ve done them that way, before.

jrogers885

Postby jrogers885 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:37 pm

Thanks for all the feed back. I am going to leave them as they don't look bad but just a little sloppy.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:31 pm

the diff just slides out after one bearing is removed through the back , not hard to change