New seat and new brakes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48162
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

New seat and new brakes

Postby cdahl383 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:55 pm

Got the new seat installed today that I got from Bill at the Cub Fest last weekend. I still need to paint it, but wanted to get it on there and see how it looked/felt. It's way better than the old seat that came with the tractor when I got it. The old one had a big hump that came up between your legs and the seat itself was much smaller. This one is way nicer.

I drove around the yard and tested out the brakes, individually and then together. They work great now! Before I only had a left brake and the right did nothing. Big thanks to Dale Finch for helping me out with the brake job! Several other folks there helped out as well.

I tightened up the pitman arms on the front end as well. They were super loose as the folks at the Cub Fest pointed out to me. You could pull them up and down with quite a bit of slop there. I have those nice and tight now with no slop. The steering feels much better now.

I've been working on cleaning up the plow that I got from Bill as well. Should be ready for paint soon. :tractor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDQSKo51vBI
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_8299 (1).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8297 (1).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8295 (1).jpg

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New seat and new brakes

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:25 pm

Before you paint the plow, I would install it and give it a try. Provided you have some place to do that. It will save you some grief later, if you have to make adjustments or repair something.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:44 pm

Bill looked over all the plows at the Cub Fest and I picked one out of the 2-3 that were in good shape according to him. Hopefully it won't need any repairs. I think the only adjustment on there is the eccentric bolt up near where it mounts to the drawbar. I'm still trying to get that loose (spraying PB Blaster on it every day). I may or may not have to adjust that.

I'm glad I watched that plow demonstration Bill put on. That explained a lot of stuff. He pointed out a lot of things on the plows too like wear points, what tends to break or have issues, what parts are or could be missing, etc.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:00 pm

Do yourself a favor and make sure the seat suspension system is all freed up and lubricated. Makes a world of difference.

I read in a book about the early days of manned space flight that NASA asked IH to consult on seats for the astronauts because they had done the most published research on the human spine and being seated for long periods of time as part of the seat designs for the tractors.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:55 pm

inairam wrote:Do yourself a favor and make sure the seat suspension system is all freed up and lubricated. Makes a world of difference.

I read in a book about the early days of manned space flight that NASA asked IH to consult on seats for the astronauts because they had done the most published research on the human spine and being seated for long periods of time as part of the seat designs for the tractors.

That's pretty cool! My seat seems to be alright as far as I can tell. I sprayed all the moving parts with WD40 when I first got it and that stopped all the squeaking noises it had. The seat moves up and down freely with some weight on it.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:07 pm

cdahl383 wrote:Bill looked over all the plows at the Cub Fest and I picked one out of the 2-3 that were in good shape according to him. Hopefully it won't need any repairs.

The Bill that Carl is referring to is Bill Hudson.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:15 pm

cdahl383 wrote:. . . I think the only adjustment on there is the eccentric bolt up near where it mounts to the drawbar. I'm still trying to get that loose (spraying PB Blaster on it every day). I may or may not have to adjust that. . .

Leave it alone. I don't recall anyone ever improving his plowing by changing that adjustment from where they found it. Back in the day, when my dad sold a Cub or Super A plow, he wouldn't tell the new owner there was an adjustment there. He figured they would just mess it up.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:05 pm

Hi,
TM Tractor Parts has new seat pads for the Cub seats, if you want a pad for it.
Below is a listing, they have black too, their listing at their website says.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/se/295fp.htm

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:32 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
cdahl383 wrote:. . . I think the only adjustment on there is the eccentric bolt up near where it mounts to the drawbar. I'm still trying to get that loose (spraying PB Blaster on it every day). I may or may not have to adjust that. . .

Leave it alone. I don't recall anyone ever improving his plowing by changing that adjustment from where they found it. Back in the day, when my dad sold a Cub or Super A plow, he wouldn't tell the new owner there was an adjustment there. He figured they would just mess it up.

The bolts are all rusted up so I won't be able to move them at the moment anyway haha! I would like to get them free though just in case I ever do want to adjust it. I'll try it out how it's set up currently though first.

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:33 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
TM Tractor Parts has new seat pads for the Cub seats, if you want a pad for it.
Below is a listing, they have black too, their listing at their website says.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/se/295fp.htm

Cool thanks! I'll paint it up and see how it looks first and then maybe I'll get a pad for it. This seat is way more comfy than the old one I had on there, even with no pad.

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cdahl383 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:35 pm

Got the new seat painted up today. Painted it in my professional outdoor booth under some trees by my wood pile haha! Got it hanging up in the garage now drying. I'll get it back on the tractor tomorrow. It turned out pretty good. Think it's a good match compared to the old seat.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_8317.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8314.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8307.jpg

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:00 pm

Seat looks good.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety