This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub LoBoy carburetor hole?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Cub LoBoy carburetor hole?

Postby DonMountain » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:23 pm

I have a 1959 Cub LoBoy that I am doing a partial carburetor rebuild on to replace the main gasket between the top and bottom halves. After soaking it in carb cleaner and replacing the throttle shaft and other parts and gaskets in the kit, I noticed that there is a hole in the bottom of the lower casting covered with a steel disk about 1/2” in diameter with a 1/8” in diameter hole through it leading up into the center bore of the carburetor just behind the choke plate. I can see right through the lower casting and there is nothing to keep air from entering the bore of the carb from below. Is there something missing here that this steel plate normally holds in ? The aluminum casting has been dented around the edge of this plate to hold something else in it appears like?

Don
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub LoBoy carburetor hole?

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:31 pm

That is a drain hole so that excess fuel can drain from the carburetor in the event of a non-start. What is missing is a felt disk that the steel disk retains.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:48 pm

It is almost impossible to "stake" the disk. After replacing the felt, place four little dabs of JB Weld or other gas proof epoxy to hold the metal disk in. You can easily punch it out from the inside.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

DonMountain
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65101

Postby DonMountain » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:54 pm

Well thank you very much. It makes sense now. Does anyone know where I might get a piece of felt to replace the one I am missing? And how might I remove the steel disk to replace the felt? It looks like the circumference of the aluminum casting has been peened in to hold it in place?

Don
1959 International Cub Lo-Boy W/Fast hitch, 59 Woods, dozer blade, plow
1954 Farmall Super C W/Fast hitch, belly dozer blade
1950 Farmall M

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:03 pm

PM sent.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:10 am

Hi,
The filter material in the hole is sort of thick, it fills the space in the hole.
Below are pages from the Cub parts manual, the filter material and cover are number 17 in the pic.
You can see in the pic it is sort of thick.
The engine could suck in dust if there was no filter in the hole.
http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-12.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 012-13.jpg

If you bought a kit with a plastic tipped needle, they have said on here they don't always work well, it may stick in the seat.
Below is a listing at TM Tractor parts showing the original style all metal needle.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/5183fp.htm

I sent you a PM.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor parts showing how the drip hole originally looks.
Attachments
Cub carb 6.jpg