This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Battery isn’t charging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TomStein
Zip Code: 19320

Battery isn’t charging

Postby TomStein » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:15 pm

Hi everyone. My battery won’t start. I’ve followed the process in this video https://youtu.be/II-6nOw28J8 to help diagnose. I’m doing so, I bypassed my voltage regulator to see if my ammeter would respond. Here’s the weird thing. It momentarily jumped instantly once. Then That was it. After a quarter of a second of testing, bypassing the voltage regulator didn’t have any affect on my ammeter. That seems like an inconsistent result to me.

So does anyone have any thoughts on if I have a generator problem, or voltage regulator problem, or both? Or how I can figure that out?

Thanks I’m advance!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Battery isn’t charging

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:32 pm

First off, that video has bad information. You will be better off not depending on that particular source, video or book. Disconnecting the battery cable when the engine is running for one bad suggestion. The tests called out are hit or miss on what problem they might find.

As far as the inconsistent results, you probably have a bad ground. The generator and regulator both need good grounds. In a cut-out system, so does the light switch.

There is a good troubleshooting chart in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113522

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:37 pm

that link from Jim is if you have a cut out relay, if you have a voltage regulator use this chart
Attachments
08-Regulatortroubleshootingchartrev.gif

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:40 pm

Hi,
You didn't say what year the Cub is.
IH used the cutout, or Relay, IH called it on top of the generator up to Cub serial number 115403.
The Relay has 3 wire connections on it.
They changed to the voltage regulator at that serial number above. The regulator isn't on top of the gen, it is originally on a bracket beside the gen.
The voltage regulator has 4 wire connections on it.

If you have a voltage regulator, use the chart number 8 above, it is also in the link Jim B. posted above, it is down the page past the number 7 chart.

TomStein
Zip Code: 19320

Postby TomStein » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:09 am

Glen wrote:You didn't say what year the Cub is.

1963 Lo-Boy. It has a voltage regulator next to the generator with 4 connections.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:29 am

63 use the chart posted above