This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator Testing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Generator Testing

Postby Dave F. » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:39 am

I tried the search features of the forum but. I couldn't find the procedure for testing a Generator by motoring? What would the procedure be. Thanks Dave F.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Generator Testing

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:25 am

Is the generator on or off the tractor? If it’t still mounted to the tractor, disconnect both generator leads and remove the belt. Connect the test lead from the generator “a” terminal to the post on the starter switch, the generator should motor, now with a second test lead, connected to a good ground, connect momentarily to ground. The generator should continue to motor but should slow down. If it does both of these, it should work. If the generator is off the tractor, just mimic these same conditions with the addition off a grounding lead. If the generator fails this test, make sure it has a good ground, it has to ground through the case.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:33 am

Gary Dotson wrote:. . . now with a second test lead, connected to a good ground, connect momentarily to ground. . . .

The intent here is to connect the second test lead from a good ground to the generator "F" terminal.

By the way, I tried the search function and got several descriptions of this test on the first page of results. The results from a search depend on which words you choose to enter (obviously). Use key words you would expect to find in the answer, which are not always the same ones you would find in a question. I searched for "motor* test generator". Note the "*" on the word "motor". It is a wildcard so it will hit words like "motoring" as well as "motor". Sometimes this is not helpful. I tried adding it to "test" and got a lot more hits that weren't helpful, usually when the word "tested" shows up in somebody's question. I lifted the phrase "testing a Generator by motoring" straight out of your post and using it to search. "A" and "by" were discarded by the search as being too common. I got 3 non-helpful posts from the 3 remaining words. I then changed to "test* a Generator by motor*" and got a lot back with too many non-helpful posts. Taking the "*" off of "test" got a list of returns that included several of the proper test procedure on the first page.

One of the google VIPs was once asked how to use google effectively. He said to do like Jeopardy, put your questions in the form of an answer. In other words, put in key words you expect to find in an answer. The same can help here.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:54 am

Regarding search (for future reference), if you go to the bottom of the page on your post, you will find a section entitled Similar Topics. In that section there is a post with the answer to your question. It is titled Generator and is the next to last one listed.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:44 am

Jim, thanks for correcting my typing error! Just mindless typing!