This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Sickle mower pully noise

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Leovank15
Zip Code: B6l5e6

Cub Sickle mower pully noise

Postby Leovank15 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:24 am

Hey guys, just restored my cub, new clutch, clutch shaft pto shaft, collar, engagement lever bearings seals etc. The pto engages and works great all as it should but when i put my pulley and mower on when the pto is disengaged I can gear a growl on the pto pully unless i lift up and take the pressure off, the belt is like pulling down on the pully and causing it to make some noise, Is this normal? Everything works great on it just don't know if this is normal or not.
Thanks

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Sickle mower pully noise

Postby ricky racer » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:54 am

What you're hearing is a worn bearing. Can you isolate where exactly the sound is coming from? I would suspect it's coming from the transmission if it's making the sound with the pto disengaged.

If the sound is coming from the rear of the tractor, only when the pto is engaged, it's the pto bearing just inboard from the pulley. That's as easy fix.

If it's coming from the transmission, it's one of two bearings within the tranny. That's not a real difficult fix but will require splitting the tractor so there's more involved in the repair. Replace both bearings while you're in there.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Leovank15

Postby Leovank15 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:20 pm

Its coming from the pto shaft when not engaged this is all brand new, bearings and all through the transmission too, its like the weight from the mower is pulling down on the pully causing the pto shaft to move up and rub on the clutch shaft cause if I just lift the pressure off the pully it stops, very weird

Ky Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 41094

Postby Ky Cub » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:37 pm

Could the belt be a tad bit too small?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:59 pm

Did a new PTO pilot bushing get installed in the back end of that new input shaft? If there is no bushing in there, it would not take much pull on the back of the PTO shaft to bring the two shafts out of line. Then the PTO collar might start running into the input shaft splines.

Leovank15

Postby Leovank15 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:27 pm

Maybe the belt is a touch short, well hopefully, just took it off and the pto shaft has a slight wiggle to it, so that pulling down killed the bearing, only about 30mins of use after the rebuild. Anyone know the proper size of belt? The number on this belt is L22480

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:50 pm

If you were able to install the belt around the two pulleys and then adjust it for proper tension, the length of the belt isn't the problem. If the bearing failed in 30 minutes, there was a problem with the bearing: defective, improperly installed, or improperly lubricated.

The belt size has been posted on here in the past. A search may find it.

Leovank15

Postby Leovank15 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:53 pm

Thank you all!
Last edited by Leovank15 on Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leovank15

Postby Leovank15 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:57 pm

Im thinking its all this bearing, the only bearing i cheaped out on and got aftermarket for 8 bucks, will be buying the proper one from case ih this time, at least it's just the shaft end that has to be pulled apart, and yes i agree its not the belt size after thinking about it. Although I can not install the belt over the two pulleys without unbolting the rear of the mower off the final drive. Another question i have my drawbar on as well as the mower does anyone else do this?

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000

Postby radioguy41 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:55 pm

Leovank15 wrote:Another question i have my drawbar on as well as the mower does anyone else do this?

Yep.

Click on image for a larger view.
1948 Farmall Cub-299s.jpg
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:18 pm

radioguy41 wrote:
Leovank15 wrote:Another question i have my drawbar on as well as the mower does anyone else do this?

Yep.

Click on image for a larger view.
1948 Farmall Cub-299s.jpg

:Dito:

Make sure you pack the new bearing before installation...
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:30 pm

Hi,
The noise is what can happen when the PTO is off, and the mower belt is pulling the PTO shaft to the side. The noise may be coming from the PTO shaft in the PTO pilot bushing.
You didn't say if you put grease in the PTO pilot bushing and on the front end of the PTO shaft when putting the PTO together.
If it has no lube, it can make noise. I saw it on a Cub with a Woods 59 rotary mower.
The belt isn't the problem, like Jim said above, unless it is overly tight. It has to be tight, or it can slip in heavy grass.
The belt should be short, so it can be tightened in the future. The PTO rear bearing may not be the problem.
The pilot bushing should be replaced when rebuilding a PTO, if the bushing is worn. Some of them I have seen on here are worn lots.
You said the shafts are new, so it should have a new PTO pilot bushing, unless the bushing was left out.
The bushing is in the rear end of the clutch shaft. I think there is a post in the How To section about replacing it, for anyone needing to replace it.
You need to remove the PTO and the rear cover from the transmission housing to get to it.
Or if you just need to grease the bushing, that can probably be done without removing the rear cover.
Below is a listing at TM Tractor Parts for the bushing.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/752fp.htm

The Cub 22 Mower owner's manual says to leave the drawbar on the Cub if your mower has the style of rear bracket in the pic below, it has a spacer welded on at the top hole.
Older mower brackets were different.
Below are pics.
The 1st, from TM Tractor Parts, is the PTO pilot bushing in the clutch shaft.
The 2nd shows where it is, in the upper part of the pic.
The 3rd shows the mower bracket.
Attachments
Cub trans shaft 7.jpg
Cub trans shaft 7.jpg (11.37 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Cub trans 24.jpg
Cub trans 24.jpg (51.92 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Cub 22 Mower bracket.jpg

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:02 pm

The bracket in Glen’s post is the later one for use with a Fast Hitch. The one below is for a non-Fast Hitch equipped Cub. They can interchange, but you need a spacer to do so. You can see a shadow of the spacer in Glen’s post.

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

wrz
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 85233
Tractors Owned: 47 Fcub
51 Fcub
57 Lo Boy FH
59 Lo Boy FH 45 Loader

Postby wrz » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:14 pm

I had the rear bearing on the pto shaft making a lot of noise and once it was greased ( fitting located on top of the pto cover) the noise went away. The bearing location makes it hard to get gear oil splashed on it.
Wm

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:30 pm

Hi,
I have used a Cub 22 Mower with a bracket like in the pic I posted above with the drawbar on a Cub, and it fit good. The welded on spacer is the same thickness as the drawbar bracket, which is at the lower hole. The bracket fits straight up and down with the thickness of the drawbar bracket at the lower hole.
I think that is your pic Don, I hope you don't mind if I post it.
IH changed the rear bracket designs through the years, and the pics in the Cub 22 Mower owner's manuals don't show the area with the bolt holes up close.

The bracket in my pic above also works with the Fast Hitch, it is like I have on my mower, it uses a spacer at the lower hole, the thickness of the spacer is like the spacer at the upper hole.
The lower spacer isn't welded on the bracket, it is an IH part to use the mower with a Fast Hitch.
The lower part of the bracket is cut away, to use it with a Fast Hitch, that is how IH made the newer mowers.

The bracket Don posted looks like it is for use with the drawbar removed. Then it would fit against a flat surface.