This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO oil seal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above
Circle of Safety: Y

PTO oil seal

Postby k hutchins » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:54 pm

Ok folks
Sorry to start a new thread, but l'm stuck. I tried the how to section and nothing there. I tried search, but it automatically kicks out PTO.
I've removed the upper plate and shaft, then removed the shaft. I have what appears to be two seals back to back in the plate. The outer one is flush to the outside of the plate and the other is up against it.
What is the easy way to remove the seal? I've pretty much destroyed the inner leather seal, and l'm worried l'm causing more damage than l'm fixing. How do l remove the old seals, and are there supposed to be two? :help: :lost:

According to what l've seen on the exploded view of the PTO, it looks like the new seal would be pressed in from the outside. What keeps it in place besides friction?

Thanks in advance for any help
Hutch
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Re: PTO oil seal

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:47 pm

This is a post I made on the PTO a while back:
https://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100075
Hope it helps. :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:50 pm

Hi,
The original PTO seal is thick, it has a dirt seal at the rear to help keep dirt out, and the oil seal is ahead.
The PTO seal I replaced in the past fit tight in the housing, as I remember.
Use a large punch, or a socket that fits freely in the hole, and is almost as big as the seal, and just hammer the seal out.
Put the housing in a large vise to support it.
The new seals are thinner than the original seals. It is probably a regular oil seal, with 1 seal lip.
Drive it in the housing from the rear of the housing, be sure the seal lip is facing ahead.
The tight fit of the seal holds it in place.
Don't hammer directly on a new oil seal, it can dent it. Put flat clean metal on the seal to hammer on.
Drive the seal in evenly until it is flush with the metal at the rear of the housing.
Grease the seal lip and shaft where the seal runs before putting the shaft in the seal.
After putting the PTO shaft in the housing, and the PTO is ready to put in the Cub, I grease the grease fitting with a grease gun, then I can see the new grease come out at the bearing, and you know the area between the seal and bearing is full of grease. It takes some grease to fill the area, as I remember.
Put some grease on the surface at the front of the PTO shaft, it goes in the PTO pilot bushing. The surface should look smooth.
The Cub service manual says remove the transmission oil filler plug, and you can look in the hole with a light, and see the shifter pin that goes in the groove of the PTO clutch.
Looking in the hole makes it easier to install the PTO.
You could also check the condition of the pin, it should be round looking from the side. Sometimes they wear and get flat on the side or sides, then the PTO can slip out of engaged.
The pin should fill the width of the groove.
I guess Dale posted about when I posted. :)

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:49 pm

Thanks so much to both Dale and Glen.

Dale, l don't know why your post isn't in the "How to" section, but it should be. It answered all my questions on the seal.

Glen, l like the idea of using a socket to drive the old one out. I probably would have thought of that myself had l not been so frustrated at the time. As far as reassembly, l already replaced the clutch, pin and shifter a couple years ago so that part l'm familiar with.

To the admin. You should put Dales post into the "How to" section. It is very informative and has step by step pictures. Also, why does the search feature automatically kick out PTO? If Dale's post had popped up, it would have answered my question.

Thanks again for the info
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:40 pm

Success
Old seal out, new seal in, no problem.

Just a couple notes.
I used an oversized flat washer and a large socket to tap the new one in. No deformities at all.
Hardest part was the reinstall, trying to "capture" the pin. I had removed the fill plug, but the handlift spring prevents you from seeing the pin. I could line up for the bushing, but couldn't see the pin. It took about a half hour of trial and error but l finally got it.
One more note.
The new seal housings are thin enough, 2 together would equal the thickness of the old seals. Since the original had 2 seperate leather seals, l'm thinking next time l might just double stack another one behind what l just installed.

Thanks again to Dale and Glen for your guidance

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:40 pm

Hi,
Good that you replaced the seal, and have it together again.