This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What is restored ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WVScott
Zip Code: 25526
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub Lo-boy
Kubota MX5100
Kubota BX25
Kubota KX91
BCS 853
Circle of Safety: y

What is restored ?

Postby WVScott » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:29 pm

Just interested in what everyone thinks. I am restoring a 57 Cub currently and to me I think restoring means getting everything to 100%. In my case I have pulled the entire tractor apart and sandblasted everything I can safely sandblast, anything I could not sandblast is stripped, wire wheel, and cleaned to bare metal before priming and shot with paint mixed with hardener. Any seal that is leaking or appears a bit rough is being replaced, the motor was checked and any leaking seals were replaced, along with a full complement of replacement parts (new elec ignition, generator rebuilt, starter rebuilt, plugs, wires, etc.). I am replacing the wiring harness, battery, all new tires, and any item that shows wear I will replace. Tie rods were not perfectly straight, so I replaced them with new ones. Even items like the steering wheel and shift knobs will be new since they were not perfect. To me, I think of a restoration as being as close to factory new as possible. I see a lot of machines on Facebook ETC.. that will say "restored" that look worse than what I started with (mine ran fine and looked decent). It seems a lot were spray painted with a rattle can and possibly washed (but oil leaks are still noticeable) and claim they are "restored". Is this the norm? Am I totally off my rocker restoring mine the way I am?

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What is restored ?

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:30 pm

JMHO, whatever makes you satisfied with the end result. I'll agree that the idea of "restored" means a lot different to many. I'm sure you will be satisfied with the end result when yours is completed. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:42 pm

I agree w/ Stan. There are different meanings, variations or degrees of “restored”. Just like what does it mean to clean your car? Does it mean running it through an automatic drive-through wash, or does it include hand wash, wax, vacuum and detail the interior?
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:05 pm

restored is a very abused word

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:31 am

In my opinion, it has no clear definition in the tractor world

most of the time in an ad it means painted.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

radioguy41
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18235
Tractors Owned: -
1957 Red IH Lo-Boy
1980 Red IH Cub Cadet 782
1993 Craftsman LT4000

Postby radioguy41 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:36 am

tst wrote:restored is a very abused word

I agree. I don't "restore", I refurb/repair. Since individual unit records are non-existent there's no way to know for certain exactly how it was when it rolled off the assembly line. Then there's the issue of paint. Just about every "restored" tractor I see today has way better paint than it ever left the factory with so is that really "restored"?. Good luck finding original style rear tires so if it has replacements with a different lug design is that "restored"? If it came new with a spark arrestor instead of a muffler where you going to find one and how would you know if it did? From what I understand early on hydraulics were optional so, did it come from the factory with those hydraulics or did a PO add them later? Or maybe the dealer added them to make the sale? Which begs another question, at what point in it's existence do you use as the targeted point of restoration, as it rolled off the line or as it left the dealership. And how would you definitively know? Yes, the word "restored" is, IMHO, overused and abused.
Circle of Safety Image ImageImage
KB3WBB

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:31 am

I agree! I have never restored a tractor but I have refurbished several, both, For myself and others. Technically, the term restored means that all systems are fully disassembled and reassembled to factory specs. Every bearing, bushing and seal in the entire machine is replaced with the same parts the factory used and good luck getting those. You’ll never find original paint, either. In reality, it’s almost impossible to actually restore a tractor. Just settle for the word refurbish and do what you feel is best for you.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:04 am

Some rattle can paint jobs look pretty darn good I have seen tractors with automotive quality paint and shine they look good but kinda too good for a tractor ,ready for work is a nice look imop . Work with in your budget and make it your own that’s my opinion :tractor:

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:19 am

rebuilding the trans and engine? replacing all bearings and seals? Factory correct nuts, bolts & paint? are 12v conversions OK? Firehose factory paint job?

Too many different interpretations of restored
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:46 am

I agree that there are many levels of "restoration" but in my book, from your description, I'd say that you nailed it with yours! :{_}: I hope you post some pictures of it!
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:03 am

Our idea of restoring or restoration is somewhat distorted. Most restoration jobs are by far more detailed and precise than the factory had ever done. Super high gloss paint jobs were never EVER and option on anything built at Louisville and some “imperfections” were always there. Take a look at some of the pictures of painting Cubs on the assembly line just shooting Red paint over EVERYTHING with a water wall behind it to capture the overspray and dust. Certainly not a professional setup but purely industrial assembly for speed.

I see the same delusion will anything related to WW2 history stuff….cars,planes,guns,ships,tanks……these things were thrown together as fast as it could be manufactured and most likely going to be destroyed at the first hint of battle so details and shine was never the objective. Plus the paints back in the day were mostly enamels and lacquer paints which didn’t have a high gloss/wet look.

NJ Farmer

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48162
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby cdahl383 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:45 pm

Restored to me means you went through it and fixed things that were broken or in need of repair, upgraded parts that were worn, made it mechanically sound, and made it cosmetically appealing. I don’t really get into the using certain nuts or bolts or making sure white chalk marks are in the right spot like the factory had, etc. If you go through the whole tractor and afterwards it’s like new and runs and looks great that’s restored to me. It varies from person to person I’m sure though.

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:17 pm

I try to fix up dents and dings in the tin, replace things that aren't functional or safe, change wiring and ignition parts when needed, and scrape, scrape, scrape. Most of my 7 have been brush and rattle can painted...with Majic paint and I like the way all of them look, and I have a lot of fun doing it all....it doesn't matter to me others expectations so no pressure

WVScott
Zip Code: 25526
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub Lo-boy
Kubota MX5100
Kubota BX25
Kubota KX91
BCS 853
Circle of Safety: y

Postby WVScott » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:03 pm

cdahl383 wrote:Restored to me means you went through it and fixed things that were broken or in need of repair, upgraded parts that were worn, made it mechanically sound, and made it cosmetically appealing. I don’t really get into the using certain nuts or bolts or making sure white chalk marks are in the right spot like the factory had, etc. If you go through the whole tractor and afterward it’s like new and runs and looks great that’s restored to me. It varies from person to person I’m sure though.

This is about where I am on it. I don't care if I use the original leather seals but want a tractor that looks great and is mechanically at 100%. I figured it would be interesting to get everyone's take of restoring tractors and hear different thoughts and opinions.

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:15 pm

WVScott wrote:Just interested in what everyone thinks. I am restoring a 57 Cub currently and to me I think restoring means getting everything to 100%. In my case I have pulled the entire tractor apart and sandblasted everything I can safely sandblast, anything I could not sandblast is stripped, wire wheel, and cleaned to bare metal before priming and shot with paint mixed with hardener. Any seal that is leaking or appears a bit rough is being replaced, the motor was checked and any leaking seals were replaced, along with a full complement of replacement parts (new elec ignition, generator rebuilt, starter rebuilt, plugs, wires, etc.). I am replacing the wiring harness, battery, all new tires, and any item that shows wear I will replace. Tie rods were not perfectly straight, so I replaced them with new ones. Even items like the steering wheel and shift knobs will be new since they were not perfect. To me, I think of a restoration as being as close to factory new as possible. I see a lot of machines on Facebook ETC.. that will say "restored" that look worse than what I started with (mine ran fine and looked decent). It seems a lot were spray painted with a rattle can and possibly washed (but oil leaks are still noticeable) and claim they are "restored". Is this the norm? Am I totally off my rocker restoring mine the way I am?

It's a loose term. There are many guys "restoring" tractors on here that use spray paint out of a rattle can. It whatever the person doing it wants and is happy with. I don't believe there is any legal definition of restored. But I agree. Some paint over paint with a rattle can and a few new parts here and there does not make a restoration. But to some people it does? There is a popular YouTube channel that the guy claims he rebuilt his Cub. While he did restore and rebuild some things it's anything from rebuilt!

Return to “Farmall Cub”