This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

High oil pressure

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above
Circle of Safety: Y

High oil pressure

Postby k hutchins » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:52 am

Hey everyone
I know this is a recurring subject, but l've searched several threads and need more specific direction or information.

My main mowing '48 Cub has perpetually high oil pressure. At start up it pegs all the way to the left on the guage. After it warms up, it with drop to 3/4 when at low idle, but when l throttle up it pegs high again. This is causing oil to seep out around the filter gasket. I thought initially that it was a rear main seal leak and even ordered a new seal from TST, but while prepping to split it l found that the leak is seeping from the filter housing.

The research leads me to the pressure relief valve, but here is my question. When disassembling/removing the valve and spring, (yes l saw the dowel rod technique), is it sufficient to just clean up the valve and tube or do l need to replace the spring? The valve head (for lack of better terminology) is not available from TM, Steiners, or Hamilton Bob's.
Is the valve most likely what's causing my issue or is there possibly another cause l am unaware of?

Any and all information is appreciated, thanks in advance

Hutch
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: High oil pressure

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:57 am

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/671fp.htm
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/en/537fp.htm

In addition, I would use a rigid paper gasket for the oil filter cap instead of the slippery rubber ones. Your cap may also be distorted from over-tightening.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

JimCub48
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 56377

Postby JimCub48 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:31 am

You may also want to check your guage, that could also be your problem. The leak around the oil filter cap is a separate issue, bad gasket, bent warped cap, bad or no bolt washer?

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:35 am

What weight oil are you using?
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:46 am

Proper oil pressure (by the specs) is 30 to 35 psi with the engine up to speed. You should see this with a fully warmed up engine. Higher readings on start-up are not unusual or necessarily a problem. If after all the considerations others have already given are investigated, you could have a pressure regulator problem. The valve needs to be able to move smoothly in the engine block without catching or binding. It isn't very fussy otherwise. If the valve is worn (an unlikely problem), the effect would be loss of pressure rather than an increase. I stuck valve could cause an increase. The spring should have a free length of 2-31/32 and a length of 2-15/32 with 9-1/2 pounds of force. Measuring under force may not be easy for you, but the free length is a good first indicator. In general, ANY SPRING will become weaker with age rather than stronger. Thus a bad spring will generally make the pressure lower not higher. So again, the pressure relief valve is an unlikely source of your apparent oil pressure problem.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:16 am

k hutchins wrote:The research leads me to the pressure relief valve.
To remove the valve, providing it is not stuck in the bore - - remove the cap and spring. Replace the cap, start tractor. Valve will have been pushed to the back of the bore, next to the cap, and easily removed.

Folks have added shims/spacers or replaced with a heavier spring, thinking this would increase oil pressure.
I have an excuse. CRS.

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:27 pm

Thanks everyone.
Jim, the valve is out of stock at TM.

To everyone else. Ishould have said l'm running 10w30 non detergent non synthetic. Them same thing l've run in my original '48 for 50+ years without an issue. I may have a rubber gasket instead of the paper due to changing filter brands. I have a different cover from JP that l bought a couple years ago. I'll swap those out to see it it makes a difference.

Eugene, if l understand how this works. If the valve is stuck, that would cause the high pressure? If l use your suggested method of removal and it pushes back to the cap, it's not stuck, correct? If it's just a weak spring that would give me low pressure?

Thanks for the information/responses everyone.
As l've said before, l can do mechanical things but l'm not a mechanic.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Clemsonfor
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 29848
Tractors Owned: Yanmar YM2000
Yanmar YM186 (non running)
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Clemsonfor » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:00 pm

Running non detergent oil you may have some sludge issues. This engine with its filter oil system really should of been running detergent oil to hold any crud in suspension untill the filter could catch it.

What you said is correct according to what Eugene posted. A weaker spring from his explanation gives you lower oil pressure because it can't hold the pressure as it should . The worn spring would grow in spring length which would lower its oil pressure.

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:56 pm

Thanks Clemsonfor for the clarification.

I believe l've fixed my leak. Swapped covers and new unused gasket initially and it went from a drip to a waterfall. Swapped out for a different cover, same thing. Stole a gasket out of a napa filter on my shelf, no more l drips.
It's still running high pressure with the needle just barely inside the white at the left side, and it doesn't move or wiggle at high or low rpm idle. I did run it long enough for the engine to warm up after fixing the leak. Still no change.
Because l'm ignorant, can someome post a picture or diagram showing where the regulator valve is? I thought l knew, but what l thought was it is too small of an orfice, so obviously l'm wrong. I checked 4 different owners manuals from '47 to '72 and they all say contact your dealer. I'll check the resources on the forum before l sign out, but any other help would be appreciated.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:10 pm

k hutchins wrote:. . . l'm running 10w30 non detergent . . .

I don't think such a thing exists. Re-read your oil bottle and tell us what the API classification is. It should be 2 letters starting with an "S".

k hutchins wrote:. . . It's still running high pressure with the needle just barely inside the white at the left side . . .

This is the second time you have said "left" where I think you should have said "right". You do know that the left side of the gauge is the zero end and where the needle should point if the engine is not running?

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:17 pm

You're correct, my miistake, l meant right.

I'm using TSC Traveler conventional 10w30 API SP

k hutchins
10+ Years
10+ Years
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter

Postby k hutchins » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:39 pm

Disregard the request for a picture to locate the pressure valve. I found the correct pdf file. I'm going to order a new spring just in case, maybe a new guage as well.
At this point since l fixed the leak, l can wait until mowing season is over to do other repairs.

Thanks again to everyone who responded with information. It was greatly appreciated.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:17 pm

If you find you need a new valve and it’s still out of stock at TM, try Messick’s. They appear to have them in stock.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:47 pm

k hutchins wrote:I'm using TSC Traveler conventional 10w30 API SP

That is the most recent spec for spark ignition engines. It is a detergent oil. You can disregard or at least reduce concern about any suggestions that assumed you were using a non-detergent oil and have sludge build-up.

cdahl383
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 48162
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby cdahl383 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:51 pm

Mine pegs out when cold but once warmed up it's in the 1/3 to 1/2 position usually. I also had a leak from the oil filter cap, but out of the top from the bolt. I ended up using a nylon washer for a 1984 Chevy Camaro between the bolt and oil filter cap. Cured my leak.