This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub project update....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Leewebb7
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 27299

Cub project update....

Postby Leewebb7 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:20 am

The cub has been soaking for a week in transmission fluid.... I got the starter off thinking maybe the the starter was keeping it from turning...I got the starter off and put a pry bar on the flywheel and low and behold it got it to turn...I kept turning it....and it got easier and easier... I took the valve cover off and all the valves look free and are moving up and down.. I can now turn the engine over by hand by turning the fan...out of curiosity it put the tractor in third gear and tried to push it.... it wouldn't move... does this sound right... I've heard of people pushing a locked up motor free in third...

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub project update....

Postby Barnyard » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:31 am

Transmission could be locked up as well. Pull the shifter cover of and take a look at the shifter forks to make sure one isn't broke.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Leewebb7
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Leewebb7 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:36 am

Which part of the transmission??... all the gears were locked up when I got it....I have now got them all free and moving.... I'm missing the first and reverse shifter fork... so what I do is take the cover off and slide the 2nd and third gear into third by hand and attempt to push tractor.....nothing...i can put it back in neutral and the tractor moves....and I can turn the engine by hand.. would the clutch being stuck to the fly wheel cause this???

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:29 pm

They are not all that easy to push if in gear, even in third. Put it in third gear and try to rock it back and forth. You should see the engine move a bit. If not, take it back out of gear and look in the transmission while turning the engine. The upper transmission shaft should turn with the engine. If it does not, you have something strange going on in the clutch area.

Clutch stuck to the flywheel does not explain what you are seeing.

Leewebb7
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Leewebb7 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:15 pm

I can confirm the transmission shaft is turning when the motor turns....maybe it's just that hard to push in gear.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:27 pm

You are eliminating all the compression in the cylinders, right? Spark plugs out, throttle open, and choke open (off).
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Leewebb7
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Leewebb7 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:32 pm

I had the spark pugs out.