This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator Sump Volume 1976 IH CUB

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Farmer Mike
Zip Code: 20613

Radiator Sump Volume 1976 IH CUB

Postby Farmer Mike » Tue May 21, 2024 8:18 am

I am working on the cooling system and unable to remove the drain plug. Stopped before things went south and I rounded off all four corners. No time or money in the budget to free the stuck drain plug with more aggressive measures.

I removed the lower pipe and hose and back flushed the system with a hose until it ran 90% less black than the original drain out fluid.

I will be adding standard antifreeze at 50/50 - 9.75 Q. NAPA has 100% old type antifreeze, on sale!

1. Does anyone know the approximate volume of the lower "sump" below the radiator. Since I cant drain the system 100%,

It is full of pretty low mineral well water which will have to do as the water part of the 50/50 dilution,

Planning to add 1 gallon of 100% antifreeze then dilute a second 100% gallon to 50/50 with distilled water to top up the system.

If the known volume of the sump is >1G I'll need to add more 100% and less if it is less for a 50/50 mix.

2., Is there a full level reference for 9-3/4Q since I do not know exactly how much fluid I am adding with the unknow volume of the sump.

I guess 40/60 or 60/40 will be acceptable here in the mid Atlantic and I should be able to test with one of those Preston tester bulbs.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Radiator Sump Volume 1976 IH CUB

Postby Eugene » Tue May 21, 2024 8:49 am

https://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ol#p134975

Remove the lower coolant manifold again and using a tool similar to above to flush the engine block and radiator bolster.

Search this site for block flushing or flushing tool. Lot of information there.

Guessing, maybe one or two pints of coolant remain in the bolster after flushing with coolant manifold removed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue May 21, 2024 6:54 pm

I had a spare bolster on the shelf. With my hand over the pipe, it took a full gallon to fill it to about the level of the gasket surface. If allowed to drain through the pipe, Eugene's post of 1-2 pints would be right.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Farmer Mike
Zip Code: 20613

Postby Farmer Mike » Tue May 21, 2024 7:32 pm

Thank you,

For the testing!

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue May 21, 2024 7:40 pm

Farmer Mike wrote: Stopped before things went south and I rounded off all four corners.

Hi,
If the corners of the plug aren't rounded off much, you could buy a 4 sided socket for a 1/2" ratchet and try turning the plug.
You can file the sides of the plug if needed, so the socket will go on it, if metal is moved from the square shape. :)