This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Central Indiana Cub Fest 2007 Pictures so far

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:21 am

Bill - I find the dash panel interesting since I have one on one of my tractors. I would really like to know the history on them.

It looks like you guys had a great time. I sure wish I could have been there.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:51 am

Bigdog, when I first saw it I thought someone had hacked it up for some reason. After talking to some of the guys yesterday and one said you had one like it I started to wonder about it myself.

My first question to you would be “Is yours a 1948?” My one 1948 serial #28930 has the long ear dash with the two gauges, light switch and ignition switch – the same as 1947. The one I picked up yesterday is a 1948 serial # 39939 (last half of the model run for that year) with the different dash. My 1949 has a different panel.

Could it have been they were changing the panels for the 49’s and used something they were testing or just using for a short run? It would be interesting to see if there are more of these out there and what the serial numbers are and what area of the country they are in.

How about the rest of you guys with 48’s are your serial numbers from the last part of the run? If so, what does your dash look like?
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:56 am

Bill, mine is indeed a 48. I don't recall the serial number offhand but the other one of these I know about is also a 48.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:02 am

We now know it may have to do with the year. I would bet the serial #'s are from the last half of the run. Now I wonder if it was regional. Maybe more members will chime in with info and we can figure this thing out.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:07 am

Just a thought. When did they make the change from the short ear to long ear dash? Could it have been an interim solution or something? This may be way off base, of course.
Trent McPeak

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:12 am

The short ear came out somewhere late 1949 and early 1950. I thought the same thing until I checked mine. My 49 is long ear and and my 1950 is short ear. This no eared rascal will get us all thinking (uh-oh I think I just found a name for this Cub)

Circle of Safety

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:27 am

Yup, I was way off base. :oops:

But... no ear (on the dash) is far better than a cracked ear (on the block)!!
Trent McPeak

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:38 am

trentm71 wrote:Yup, I was way off base. :oops:

But... no ear (on the dash) is far better than a cracked ear (on the block)!!

Not really off base. It could be any number of reasons. this could be an item that was initially meant to be on the first Cubs but was scrapped. They could have laid in storage for a couple years (steel was still somewhat in short supply after the war). It's possible they needed to use these if their supply of regular panel ran low for some kind of production reason.

I agree with you on the ear location,

Circle of Safety

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:43 am

You know, I've got a late '48 (serial # in sig), and it's got a long-ear dash, but the tank only has holes for the short ears. My grandparents bought Black Cat in '68 or so, and they never changed either item. So I suppose it could have been changed in the previous 20 years, but both the grille, tank, and dash seem original...
Not quite what y'all are debating, I think, but an interesting '48 dash issue anyway.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:01 am

PageRob wrote:You know, I've got a late '48 (serial # in sig), and it's got a long-ear dash, but the tank only has holes for the short ears. My grandparents bought Black Cat in '68 or so, and they never changed either item. So I suppose it could have been changed in the previous 20 years, but both the grille, tank, and dash seem original...
Not quite what y'all are debating, I think, but an interesting '48 dash issue anyway.

That's interesting because the short ear was out around 1950. I doubt they made the new tanks that soon in 48 but who knows what or why they did things in those days. A lot of it was based on conserving resources since they were not the throw-away generation.

Circle of Safety

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:09 am

Barnyard wrote:
PageRob wrote:You know, I've got a late '48 (serial # in sig), and it's got a long-ear dash, but the tank only has holes for the short ears. My grandparents bought Black Cat in '68 or so, and they never changed either item. So I suppose it could have been changed in the previous 20 years, but both the grille, tank, and dash seem original...

That's interesting because the short ear was out around 1950. I doubt they made the new tanks that soon in 48 but who knows what or why they did things in those days. A lot of it was based on conserving resources since they were not the throw-away generation.

Yeah, certainly a different mind-set from a lot of this current generation. Sometimes I shudder to include myself with some of these other youngsters I see. NPR had an article on how early-mid 20-somethings now at work have to be coddled and praised every day, just for showing up to work on time! Made me mad, and gives young folks (26) like myself a bad rep. I'm a self starter, work hard every day with almost no supervision, and get the job done right. Errr.... :evil:
Anyway - when did they stop putting on the tank with the three bars on each side? Maybe it is a PO modification, just a very old one.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:17 am

WOW :!: :!: :!:

I actually got to work on my tractors at this FEST. A big Thanks to SteveB and BUD for hosting this event. It was a great time. I brought along a friend from work and his 13 yr old son (Derek). His son had a blast. Talked about it all the to Indy, and then fell asleep from exhaustion. He was busy working on tractors, and plowing all day. Lots of pictures taken by his proud father. Definately a day he wont forget anytime soon. he was ready to go to another this coming weekend. He even tried to talk his dad into buying a tractor so he would have one to work on. :D :D

Big Thanks to the Dotson brothers for supervising my friends and i as we removed Dirty Girty's head and installed a new head gasket, as her's was blown. WHILE THE HEAD was off it was determined that one of the head bolts was stripped so off to NAPA to get heilicoil kit. Had that head on three times before it was on to stay. Changed oil. After getting the oild filter gasket on correctly (bit of a scare there :oops: :oops: ) it ran like a top, and maintained the correct amount of antifreeze. Derek was excited, cause he was finally able to drive his first tractor.

Then on to sickle mower on my demo, i had two blade, the ball end welded one, the tip broke on the other. So a quick welding job by Larry Dotson, and we were in business. New sickle sections, and installed the blade. Then Gary to the rescue he took over and got the pittman install along with the belt. Derek got Ricks replica belt gaurd installed. Gary hoped onto the tractor and started her up, and engaged the PTO and off it went, perfectly. :D :D :D :D :D I was smiling from ear to ear. I chuckled all the way home :!: :!: I was happy then ***** Still grinning. Gonna go try using it in the back 40 today, if the farmer hasnt already cut it.

Rick masterfully redid Roxie's carb. I was able to tear the carb apart and observe him start to put it together. Big thanks to him as well.

A big thanks to everyone i am sure i forget someone.

I cant wait for april to come around :!: :!: :!:

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Well i tried the sickle mower today. :D :D It worked beautifully. Someone get word to the Dotson brothers that it worked fine and thanks once again for all their help!!!
John

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:29 pm

If I had to make a guess I would say the dash was built for the 47, not knowing for sure about the HDYLS. and a good point was made as far as maybe between the change over from long horn to the short. Another real mystery of the cub, just like the holes in the floor pan ?? Mystery. Jack :lol:

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:41 pm

Wish I could have been there plowing with y'all. Lil Red does that well.
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078
'75 ford 2000

If you think you can or you think you can't...your right
- Henry Ford