This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Crankshaft Pulley

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eric
10+ Years
10+ Years

Crankshaft Pulley

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:26 pm

I'm done with the rebuild on my '49 and now have come to the point of reinstalling the crank pulley. Has anyone had any experience with the reinstallaion? Any tips or tricks I should know? Any help would be appreciated.
-Thanks
Eric

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:34 pm

If you wait until your wife isn't home you can heat it up in the oven before you pull it on.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:39 am

Eric,

Bigdog is right, the oven really helps. I took a piece of 3/8"x 2" flat stock long enough to cover the diameter of the pully, drilled a 1/2" hole in the middle then used a series of 1/2" bolts. I think they were from 4 1/2" long to 3" long. Put the plate over the pully, screw the 4 1/2" bolt into the end of the crank and tighten all the way. Then use the 3" and keep doing that until the pully bottoms out. It should go on pretty easy. My old memory isn't remembering what size bolt fits the threded end of the crank so you might want to check for yourself.
Always try the easiest thing first.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:18 am

Brent Duxbury wrote:Eric,

Bigdog is right, the oven really helps. I took a piece of 3/8"x 2" flat stock long enough to cover the diameter of the pully, drilled a 1/2" hole in the middle then used a series of 1/2" bolts. I think they were from 4 1/2" long to 3" long. Put the plate over the pully, screw the 4 1/2" bolt into the end of the crank and tighten all the way. Then use the 3" and keep doing that until the pully bottoms out. It should go on pretty easy. My old memory isn't remembering what size bolt fits the threded end of the crank so you might want to check for yourself.

The thread is 1/2-13. The bolt idea works OK, but it's much better to use a piece of threaded rod screwed in all the way and a nut to push on the plate. It's easier, but more importantly... it eliminates the possibility of stripping the threads in the crankshaft by a bolt not seated deeply enough. It may take a hard pull. :cry:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:50 am

George, I never thought of the threaded rod. That sure eliminates the need for a covey of bolts. Guess that's what comes from restoring a bunch of Cubs rather than one. Some day I might catch up. Got my eye on a low serial # 47 right now and a Cletrac. Don't know which to latch onto first.
Always try the easiest thing first.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:33 am

Brent Duxbury wrote:Got my eye on a low serial # 47 right now and a Cletrac. Don't know which to latch onto first.

Brent,

Try to get them both! A '47 with an original grille would be a real prize. Be careful with the Cletrac though. Make sure you get a good engine. I understand parts for the little Hercules are made of either gold or unobtanium. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:35 pm

Hi All,

I hopefully will soon be doing this for the first time. I read in the manual
to put the pulley in boiling water for a period of time. Has anyone tried this
and does it work as well as in the oven? What about using a propane torch
or would this be too much concentrated heat?

Awaiting a reply. Thanks. :idea:

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:28 pm

If I'm remembering my high-school physics right, water stays at boiling temp until turned to steam, so the oven would get the pulley hotter.

As for the torch question, hmmm, I would guess that it would do no damage considering the density of the pulley, but I'm not sure it would heat the pulley any quicker. If left in the oven at X deg until the oven is heated to that temp, the pulley should be the same temp all the way through, and (in theory) hold the temp longer.

My 2c
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:36 am

I heated one using a Coleman stove, but remember that if you get it too hot you will damage the seal lip. then you get to do it over again. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”