This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Engine WILL NOT FIRE AT SPARK PLUGS!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Engine WILL NOT FIRE AT SPARK PLUGS!!!

Postby muleboss » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:01 pm

rtr wrote:UPDATE:

We got the new head gasket on and torqued down to 45 ft-lbs. While it was off we found that the timing was 180 degrees off, and fixed that.

How did you know it was 180 off?

rtr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35405

Postby rtr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:26 pm

Eugene,

Yes you are correct so far!! This isn't our (my grandfather & uncle are the ones making the adjustments) first rodeo. We have had probably 35 Cubs over the years, not even counting the number of A's, Super A's, 140's, etc. So, they are very familiar with the workings of the distributor and the way it is all set up. This has them really scratching their heads because the spark is getting lost somewhere. We are gonna work on it some more tomorrow, and I will make sure to ask if they did check the timing with the mark on the front. We always time the tractors the way you guys are stating, so I'm sure they've done that.

Question: The P.O. did tell me that before all of this when he was fixing it up, he ordered the Pertronix Electronic Ignition for it. He said that he left the switch on and "burned it up". SO he orders the points, condensor, etc. to put it back original since it was much cheaper and he had ruined the E.I. Now we are having these problems. We are using the New 12 volt coil he purchased with the kit (which seems to be fine), we are using the plug wires he has (look new), and we are using the new internal ignition parts he ordered after he messed up the E.I. Just wondering if there could have been something else that he could have damaged that is causing the problem. Gotta cover all bases!!

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:48 pm

If he had Electronic Ignition he removed the insulating washers where the points and condenser hook, did you reinstall them ?
also if it burned up the EI it may have hurt the coil too .
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:06 pm

Boss - if he did not replace the insulators he would not have fire at the coil. From his description he has fire at the coil but not out of the distributor. He has a timing issue. The rotor is not under a tower in the cap when it is firing. His distributor is either way out of position or the rotor shaft has been installed out of position. He needs to set the engine at TDC #1 and make sure the rotor is pointing to where #1 tower is.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:15 pm

I'm not going to dig back to see if this has already been asked. Have you checked the new ignition points to make sure they aren't misassembled with the rub block backwards? If they are, the rotor will be in the wrong position when it fires.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:36 am

Bd I made this suggestion

Boss Hog wrote:It is out of time! period, If the information you are giving us is correct. Bring # 1 cylinder up on compression stroke. align pointer to mark on the front pulley , then align rotor to # 1 terminal on distributor cap. MAKE sure firing order is correct 1 3 4 2 . You will now have spark to the plug wires. Most likely you have gas fouled the plugs by now and they will need to be replaced.

Boss

He stated they knew how to time it, was just giving him more Info on the last info he posted :D

As Jim has stated I have seen some point with the rubbing block on backwards
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

rtr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35405

Postby rtr » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:43 am

Jim,

Good idea! I have bought points before where the block was backwards. Since we didn't install the points ourselves, I will check that tomorrow.

Boss,

Thanks for the suggestions on what to try when timing it. We are actually going to go through the WHOLE timing process tomorrow to double check it. It is possible that when my uncle timed it the other day that he might have missed something. Alot of times you will assume it is one way, but it isn't. We are hoping the problem is just that simple.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:53 am

I've also run across the rub block installed backward and if static timed with a backward block it would fire between the cap towers. Set the timing mark on TDC and static time again, then look to see where the rotor is pointing.