This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seeking advice from members

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47359
Tractors Owned: Farmall 200
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
International 656D Hi-Clear
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Re: Seeking advice from members

Postby Xperimental » Thu May 22, 2014 2:48 pm

I usually mow with an Allis 5020 which is a little two cylinder diesel tractor. It has lots of power with a 60" deck. This week the water pump was getting ready to go on the Allis, and rather than have the fan fly into the radiator, I mowed everything except the roadside with my 56 Cub and 59 inch Woods deck. The roadside was pretty tall heavy grass more like a hayfield than a lawn. But I could cut my 2-3 acres of lawn grass. It took maybe 50% more time with the Cub. But the Cub was more fun. For me power isn't as much of a drawback as the lack of an independent PTO and the lack of a truly low gear. I am really appreciating the fact that my Cubs don't have water pumps. The Cub's simplicity is a huge plus when it comes to maintenance and repair.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Seeking advice from members

Postby Smokeycub » Fri May 23, 2014 7:10 am

Eugene wrote:Cracking the engine block ear is only problematic if the tractor encounters extremely rough service. Not normally encountered when mowing lawns.

Interestingly my Cub has had a crack on that ear on the front right corner of the block since long before I owned it. Someone brazed it up years ago and so far the only issue with it has been it seeps a bit of oil through the crack. I have plowed, disked, cultivated, and graded with it many times over the 8 or so years I've had it. Last year I did install a "block tie" that pulls things back together a bit and reinforces that brazed ear. So far so good.

I mow with the Cub a great deal and I much prefer it to any lawn tractor. Like the others have mentioned the F-Cub is a multi use machine and while it will mow well the numbered Cubs are essentially mowing machines. Electric - live PTO, more powerful - higher rev'ing engine, lower height, and turf tires, are a big plus for mowing.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!