This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sickle bar mower question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sickle bar mower question

Postby leerenovations » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:15 am

SONNY wrote:The sickle is not made to mow grass with. its made to mow hay and weeds with!!--- And shake they will! I have one someone stuck on one of my older cubs, and the thing is junk compared to the one on my ac-c tractor! thanks; sonny

I was using mine to cut my yard with when my bushhog 412 gave up the ghost. It did a great job. And it does shake, thats a guarantee. But if your sections are shop, all adjusted then that sickle mower is a cutting champion.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby welderrx » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:16 am

If it was sitting a long time it could have some surface rust on the blades and the guards and hold downs where they all touch lube it up real well till they get their shine back, with the bar down and the belt off can you turn it by hand? In your video the way the grass is building up I would guess you're hold downs are loose. The mounting notches on my mower were so beat up that I cut them off and welded new ones on with 5/8 holes and used regular bolts, I take my mower apart when I take it off anyway otherwise it would have to stay outside so its pretty easy to take on and off without the slotted notches. I pull the pitman off,pop out the pins at the bar hinge, pop out the long pin at the drive tube and take it off in three pieces. Also make sure you lube it up a little and run it before you take it off grasses have some acids in them and it will rust up overnight .T.J.
Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:12 am

Agree with welderrx about hold downs. Grass is most likely getting caught on top or under the knives. When this happens it starts binding and creates more vibration

Edit: also explains why you're not getting a good clean cut. As someone mentioned, clean sharp knives help also
Thomas