This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Source for Tires

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Source for Tires

Postby lyle11 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:55 pm

I was looking for 8.3-24 turf tires and I found that there isn’t much out there other than Firestone’s where Miller Tire wants $375 each. I found a site called ntstiresupply.com where I am getting new blemished Firestone Turf tires for $231 each. They also have agricultural tires and used tires. I have family in Minnesota on their delivery route that I will pick up at their house in a couple of months, but if I chose to have them shipped to Ohio they wanted $85.

The place was real responsive and easy to deal with. Miller prices seem real high to me based on shopping around but it is a good reference point. Just throwing this site out there as a place to check out.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Source for Tires

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Check out your local tire shops. In my local there are several shops that deal in automotive and ag tires.

The local shops offer competitive prices and they have additional services such as mounting the tires included in their pricing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:35 pm

I checked locally and prices were always below Miller, but all of them I checked wanted extra for mounting. Found a place that will mount them for me for $20 each if I can’t do it myself.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:29 pm

I think you have answered your own question.

If you purchase tires from a non local dealer your will either have to mount the tires or pay someone mount the tires.

Mounting tractor rear tires are not difficult. The plus side, you can check the rims and repair any damage.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Eugene wrote:I think you have answered your own question.

If you purchase tires from a non local dealer your will either have to mount the tires or pay someone mount the tires.

Mounting tractor rear tires are not difficult. The plus side, you can check the rims and repair any damage.

Eugene nailed it. If you’ve never done it before ask around and see if you can locate a friend who has and get them to help.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:39 pm

I read all the tire threads and would have liked to have bought locally, but in a metro area like Akron, OH, I found the choices pretty slim even expanding geographically. Prices weren’t bad they just didn’t carry what I wanted.

I bought 2 of the light duty $5.99 Harbor Freight tire irons and took off one old tire with them. There was no intention of using the old tire so I was not very careful but I did damage the bead a little. My rims are at the sandblaster now followed by me painting so they will be nice and clean. The turf tires don’t seem as stiff as ag tires.

I looked at a couple YouTube tractor tire mounting videos and may try to mount them. Getting the first bead on looks pretty easy. Seems like for the second bead the key is to push the bead side you have tucked under the rim deep into the more recessed part of the rim to allow you to work the bead under the rim without damage. That and a lot of soapy water for lube.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi,
Be careful to not pinch the tube against the rim with the tire tools when putting the new tires on, it can cut the tube, then it will leak air.
Also I think they say to inflate the tire once with air when done mounting the tire, then deflate it fully, then inflate it again. This helps the tube move in the tire so there are no folds in the tube, and it is smooth against the inside of the tire. :)

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 pm

Tire installation tips from the pros: If you don't have access to commercial tire soap you can use a hand or dishwash detergent like DAWN, etc. (the thicker the better) and wipe it on the tire bead before beginning the mounting process. Sprinkle a dusting of power (talc, baby powder, etc.) liberally around inside the tire before installing the tube. It provides a coating that allows the tube to slip and not "stick" to the tire. And yes, when seating the second bead, keep the side opposite where you're working down below the seating area of the rim to allow maximum room to work the tire bead over the rim. Glen's tip about inflating more than once works too. After inflating and the bead is fully seated against the rim, adjust the air pressure as needed. It will take a significant increase in air pressure to seat the tire bead against the rim.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Blue line on tube goes towards the rim.

A friend who worked industrial tires a long time acquired and mounted mine.
His lube of choice ,WD 40 for bead areas. Guess it does have a use.
Keeping the valve stem from falling back into the rim is worth noting when positioning tube.......

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Waif wrote:His lube of choice ,WD 40 for bead areas.

Nope. Petroleum based.

MiCarl
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48154
Tractors Owned: 2021 RK25 "Barbie"
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub (SOLD)
1994 Speedex 1631

Postby MiCarl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Jim Becker wrote:

Nope. Petroleum based.

Agreed. Best to keep petroleum away from rubber.

The good news for you is big tires are generally easier than small, and new rubber is more flexible than old. It'll also go onto a refreshed rim a lot easier than an old rusty/dirty one.

You're going to want to avoid damaging the new paint on your rims. Some thoughts:
1) Secure the rim so it doesn't move on you. You could put the center in and install on the tractor. If you've got a convenient way to come up with a pedestal to bolt the center to I think that would be better. It also might work to bolt through a couple of the loops to a suitable bench. (I have a cheap Harbor Freight tire machine that is perfect for the job).

2) Install the tire from the side of the rim that will be facing the tractor, that way any paint damage will be hidden. If you're using the tractor as your fixture you'll have to put the rim or center and rim on backward while installing the tire.

3) Try and get a helper. An extra hand to hold the bead into the deep part of the wheel frees yours up to work both irons.
1944 Farmall H
1948 Farmall Cub
1994 Speedex 1631

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:09 am

Jim Becker wrote:

Nope. Petroleum based.

Whoa Nelly.
How much petroleum we talkin? Ingredients derived from petroleum does not mean the same as petroleum. Humans use mineral oil and Vaseline on their bodies. How far removed are WD's ingredients "oils"?
Spray WD40 on a steel plate and after it dries a few minutes what is left? Spray your fingers with it, Dry them or let them dry ,and what is left?
It is not a lube ,it is a water displacer. Ask WD's website about rubber. Soaking is not good. Spraying is alright.
Mineral oil dissipates soon after spraying. Different than soaking an o-ring in it long term.

Using dish soap results in still lubing a tire bead for how long? Can too much cause a wheel to slip inside a tire under high torque? Plus ,if you are not picky (like using vegetable based soap) you risk putting soap with sodium hydroxide on your rims . What does sodium hydroxide do to the bead seating area of rims?

I have little use for WD40 beyond drying something. It is not a decent lube (nor was it designed to be) and does not do much for drying anything long if it remains exposed to moisture.

If you have proof it has harmed an industrial tire by using it to mount a tire , feel free to post up proof. Heck, include an auto or bicycle tire if you can find more than heresay..

My friend provided industrial service in the field in multiple industries for many years. Liability meant any issues caused by his materials ,supplies ,and methods would be red flagged and corrective action would have followed as well as warranty service. No issues with WD40.
He does work for me, I drop off a gallon of of WD40 on occasion. Must be a better reason he uses it to mount tires though... he started that long before meeting me...and had to explain why to critics, of course.

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:58 am

Just after Christmas I purchased two Carlisle turf pro r3 through a truck and equipment tire place and the price with mounting was the same as what I saw online for the tires alone.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Willy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38330
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub Lil Red

Postby Willy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:19 am

If you're buying tires online or somewhere different than where you're having them mounted, I'd be cautious about where you have them mounted. I bought a set for a pickup online several years ago (couldn't find that particular tire locally) and the local place I selected to mount them stripped at least one lug nut on each wheel. I didn't find out until some months later when I went to change brake pads on the truck. I called the tire place and was basically told "tough luck" and if it wouldn't have happened with tires purchased from them. I'd been a customer for years there. Not again.
Waking up the ol' Cub

Nah, it's not leaking oil. It's just marking it's territory.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 am

Thanks for all the replies and mounting pointers. The tire buying process just confirms what I read in past discussions. Shop around because prices vary a lot. I was expecting free mounting by buying locally but, like I said in my original post, every local place wanted extra $$ for mounting which surprised me. You’ll probably get a better deal and more options in a rural or agricultural area where the volume is higher. I’ll assess whether I mount them after I get them. Wish I could clone my 60 year old self to help me cause I have fortunately held up well physically so far. But if it is a 2 man job it might be hard to find a capable helper based on who I know. A local place will mount them for $20 each so I may go that route. Haven’t really decided on rim paint yet. The thin Rust Oleum aluminum paint looks unimpressive out of the can but has held up real well on some I did over 12 years ago and looks to be easier to touch up than the Rust Oleum hammered paint.

Return to “Farmall Cub”