This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1950 Farmall Cub Refresh

Farmall Cub Tractor photo forum. All Cubs, all the time.
Forum rules
All photos must be your personal photos (no copyrighted material).

FarmallCub.Com forum upload attachment requirements:
Maximum attached file size: 512kb
Maximum dimension: Unlimited (as long as the file is less than 512kb)

Preferred photo attachments are via direct upload in post, and/or the CubFest Photo Server.

Commercial Photo hosting services will work, however, if the image links become broken due to discontinued service or deletion of the images, the posting will be marked for removal.
tractorjunky
Zip Code: 45036
Tractors Owned: 1939 JD L
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
1948 Farmall Cub
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1950 Farmall Cub Refresh

Postby tractorjunky » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:26 am

Another picture of the repaired brake rod

finished repair 2.jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:44 am

You all are doing a good job! Keep it up! Good to see your girls involved and echo Dale's sentiments earlier about getting them involved.
:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

tractorjunky
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
1948 Farmall Cub
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs

Postby tractorjunky » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:21 pm

We have made a little more progress over the past week or two. We have finished cleaning and priming all the parts for the final drive, and even a little paint in the hard to get to areas after assembly.
primed final drive.jpg

final drive parts ready.jpg

The wheel center has made a trip through the blaster and has been since painted.
center blasted.jpg
Center before painting

The newly repaired brake band has been painted along with the bolts to mount the wheel weights. I also made and painted a bracket that will mount using the starter bolt holes and a side wind jack for splitting the tractor. We need to replace the rear main seal and assess the clutch. A few months ago I took the round clutch cover off to discover that two of the adjusting bolts have fallen out of the clutch.
brake parts painted.jpg
Brake Band and Splitting Stand Bracket

To round out the weekend, my youngest came out to the shop wanting to help. So, I taught her about a new tool and her chase the threads in anticipation for installing the final drive.
haylee chasing threads.jpg

I think we have us in pretty good shape to make some good progress over Thanksgiving break putting the Final Drive back together.

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:45 pm

I love to see those young ladies working on something that they will remember for years to come.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

tractorjunky
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
1948 Farmall Cub
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs

Postby tractorjunky » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:56 pm

Over Thanksgiving break, we were able to check off a few more boxes on the to-do list. I am going to split the update into several posts so I can share more pictures. I always enjoy looking at pictures of others work.

We started off by cleaning the rest of the transmission and steering column and getting them into primer and paint.
painted transmission.jpg

Then we reassembled the Final Drive and finished priming and painting that as well.
assembled final drive.jpg

assembled final drive 2.jpg
Ready for paint

While we waited for the paint to dry, we did a trail fitting of the Splitting Stand Bracket we made. We are using the starter pad to attach the bracket.
splitting stand bracket.jpg
Bolted onto starter pad

We also bolted a caster to the bottom of a side wind jack to roll back the rear end. I have the jack temporarily installed on the engine side just to see how everything fits and to verify that the handle did not have any interferences. When we go to split the tractor, I think I will leave the engine stationary and roll the rear end away.
splitting stand.jpg

tractorjunky
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
1948 Farmall Cub
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs

Postby tractorjunky » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:17 pm

With the Final Drive and Transmission ready for reassembly, we are still one part shy of being ready. We still need to install the new brake lining. With some help from my oldest and the instructions found in the how-to section (http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 54&t=66324), we are off to install the lining.

First we preformed the lining so it would fit into the brake band. Then I used another brake drum and some zip ties to help finish forming the lining. After we had the lining formed around the drum we slide the drum half way off and clamped the lining to the band. I don't have many small c-clamps, so we used some anchors that are used for securing a tarp.
brake lining in clamps.jpg
Lining secured with clamps

Once the donor drum was removed, we marked the holes on the lining. First using a small diameter drill bit for the thru hole, we then used a drill bit from my pocket screw kit. You just need to be careful when drilling the counterbore that you don't get too deep.
pocket screw drill bit.jpg
Pocket Screw Drill Bit

With the holes drilled, now it is time to install the rivets. For a bucking bar, I ground the tip off of a large nail spike and secured it in a vise so the head of the spike was resting on the vise arm.

brake rivit bucking bar.jpg
Blurry Bucking Bar

With the help of a few extra hands, we set the rivets. What worked for me was first using a Center Punch to start the flare, then a Roll Pin Punch to continue the flare, then using a Flat Punch to finish peening everything flat.
extra hands brake lining.jpg
Extra Hands to set rivets

rivit bucking tools.jpg
Rivet bucking tools

Here is the end result. We are now ready to install the Final Drive.
new brake lining.jpg

new brake lining.jpg

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:40 pm

tractorjunky wrote:I am going to split the update into several posts so I can share more pictures.

Actually, this whole thread should probably be moved to the Farmall Cub Forum. There’s much more here than just photos.
Last edited by Don McCombs on Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tractorjunky
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
1948 Farmall Cub
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs

Postby tractorjunky » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:41 pm

With the paint dry and the brake relined, we set off to install the Final Drive. I know what you are thinking, what about the Fender, that needs to be installed with the Final Drive since they share the same bolts. It was my desire to install the Fender at this time, but the Fender needs a little more attention than I was planning. I didn't want to hold up other parts of the project so only installing the two bottom bolts and one on the top, we reinstalled the Final Drive. When the Fender is ready for installation, I just need to remove one bolt and we can install the fender along with the four remaining bolts.

installing final drive.jpg
Tightening two bottom bolts

With the Final Drive on we reinstalled the rear wheel with the Wheel Weight installed as well.

back wheel reinstalled.jpg

It is a rather nice feeling to be done with the Final Drives. It seems as if we have been working on them forever. Considering we dug into the Right one in January of this year, forever may not be that far off. Either way, time for something new.

Next up, we removed the Dash Panel, the Hydraulic Tubes and the Hydraulic Block.
removing dash.jpg

I recently tested the hydraulic block and everything seemed to work as it should. Now that I have it off of the tractor, is there anything I should inspect?

With the Hydraulic Tubes off, we are all set to split the tractor. We need to split to replace the Rear Main Seal and assess the condition of the clutch. When I first removed the clutch cover a few months ago, I found two of the spring finger bolts at the bottom of the housing.

TST, if you are reading this, I will be contacting you to have the Seal Housing reworked for a new seal in a couple of weeks.
missing hydraulic unit from tractor.jpg
Oldest daughter proud of the Thanksgiving Break progress

One final thing we did to close out the weekend was to install plugs in the spark plug holes. It turns out that Oil Drain Pan plugs have the same M18-1.50 threads as the spark plugs. I wanted to get the spark plugs out of the way to make cleaning and painting the head easier.
spark plug plugs.jpg

We probably won't get much done next weekend as that is my Wife's favorite holiday, Tree Getting Day! We make a day of getting the Christmas Tree, so not much Cub work planned. But at least Christmas Break is right around the corner.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:10 pm

With the Touch Control block, you might want to see if there is ANY indication of leaking from the control rod. It is fairly easy to pull it out toward the front, and replace the one o-ring there (TM Tractors has it). It's much more involved once the block is reinstalled! Also check the boots & replace, if needed. There are new leather ones as well as rubber ones available.

You are probably already aware, but when you are painting the panel & clutch housing, make sure the mating surfaces are clean of dirt, primer and paint. That is a grounding path.

Great work by you guys...want to rent out your daughters for some more tractor work?! They are getting well trained, and I currently have 3 waiting for work!! :lol:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

tractorjunky
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
1948 Farmall Cub
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs

Postby tractorjunky » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:15 pm

Dale, thank you for the reminder about the ground path. I probably would have forgotten and then wondered why I have a problem.

I am sure if we lived a little closer, the girls would love to come over an help. I guess we will have to wait for the Barnyard Bash in the spring for them to help you out again.

tractorjunky
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
1948 Farmall Cub
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs

Postby tractorjunky » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:36 pm

This weekend I was able to make a little more progress. I was on my own this time as the girls were decorating Christmas cookies.

I started off with cleaning, priming and painting the hydraulic and throttle levers.
painted levers.jpg

Then the I started on the real fun for the day.

After getting my splitting jacks in place, I proceeded with splitting the tractor.
ready to split.jpg
Ready to Split

split in two.jpg
After splitting

The bolted on caster on one of the jacks worked out really well. Don't forget the all too important axle wedges. With only supporting the engine on one side, these are critical to a successful split.

Before I even started this project, I knew someone has been in the engine before. The oil pan gasket has some lovely blue RTV on both sides. What I found on with the flywheel bolts has me scratching my head. Only one of the four bolts has a lock washer on it. When I look at the parts manual, a lock washer is not specified.
flywheel bolts.jpg
One Bolt with a lock washer

parts diagram.jpg

Is there suppose to be lock washers under the flywheel bolts? The reason I ask, I wonder when you bought flywheel bolts from the dealer, would the lock washers have come with them because they were special in some way and would not be called out in the manual because they fell under the same part number as the bolts?

The reason I needed to split the tractor was that the rear main leaked and that I found two of the clutch jam nuts on the inspection cover. The seal is on it's way to TST for rework.
Attachments
clutch missing nuts.jpg
Two jam nuts missing

tractorjunky
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
1948 Farmall Cub
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs

Postby tractorjunky » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:38 pm

While we wait for the seal to be reworked, it is a good thing my girls like getting their hands dirty. We have a lot to clean up before we are ready to put the halves back together.
back half after split.jpg
Thick coat of sludge in bellhousing

We have a thick coat of oily sludge in the bellhousing. Now I know what the girls can do over Christmas break to stay busy.

tractorjunky
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
1948 Farmall Cub
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs

Postby tractorjunky » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:02 pm

The girls and I where able to get a bit done on the Cub over the Christmas break. While the Rear Main Seal was being reworked by TST, we cleaned up the bellhousing and chased the threads in the crankshaft and on the engine.

girls cleaning split.jpg
What more could a dad ask for?

haylee dirty.jpg
Proud of her dirty hands

clean bellhousing.jpg
Results of our cleaning

Once we received the newly fitted Rear Seal and following TST's guidance for installing it, we proceed with installing the clutch and adjusting the fingers to the 1.25" as shown in the how-to: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=6994.

To avoid the problem of having the jam nuts fall off again, I used blue locktite to help hold them in place.
installed clutch.jpg

With everything clean, a reinstalled Rear Seal, new Oil Pan Gasket and a reinstalled clutch, we managed to get the tractor put back together.
joined tractor.jpg

tractorjunky
1942 JD H
1949 JD M
1948 Farmall Cub
2, 1950 Farmall Cubs

Postby tractorjunky » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:15 pm

I was also able to get the Hydraulic block all cleaned up and painted. I took Dale's advice and ordered a new O-ring for the control valve. There was plenty of grime built up and now is the best time to get at it. The nice surprise is both of the leather boots are in excellent condition and I can reuse them. After giving them a good bath both in the parts cleaner and again in the sink using dish soap, they cleaned up fairly well.

I did have a surprise when I dug into the hydraulic pump to replace the driveshaft o-ring. One of the internal o-rings was missing chunk.
hydraulic pump o-ring.jpg

So a quick order to TM Tractor for a full rebuild kit helped fix this problem. In doing some research about the pump in the archives, I found several posts about using an X-ring to replace the O-ring on the driveshaft with positive results. I kind of liked this solution because it is essentially a poor man's lip seal.
x-ring.jpg
X-ring Cross Section
x-ring.jpg (5.95 KiB) Viewed 2263 times

The only problem was that in order to get one in a reasonable amount of time, I had to order 89 of them. I did find another place where I could get only 5, but for a few extra dollar's I could get 89. So needless to say, I have 88 spare X-ring seals. If anyone would like to try an X-ring to fix their leaky hydraulic pump, let me know.

Fortunately the order from TM came fairly quickly, so we got the pump rebuilt, painted and reinstalled. Next time we get out into the shop, we will put the hydraulic block arms and control valve back on and reinstall it back onto the tractor.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:01 pm

I seem to rebuild a few of those pumps, and would be happy to buy a couple of those x-rings, if your offer still holds! I had considered trying them...just hadn't gotten around to getting any. Are they compatible with the hydraulic fluid?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cubs Photos”