This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New fr Atlantic Canada

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
Petermac7644
Zip Code: E6L
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall A
Circle of Safety: Y

New fr Atlantic Canada

Postby Petermac7644 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:57 pm

Hello,

I’m getting my uncle’s Cub. My father has a super A. Are the implements interchangeable at all? From what I have read so far, I think the answer is no. I was hoping to mount the A’s blade to plow a bit of snow with the cub over the winter.

Petermac7644

Re: New fr Atlantic Canada

Postby Petermac7644 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:27 pm

Replying to myself to get access to PDFs

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:04 pm

Welcome to the Forum. I don't think there are any implements that will interchange.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:40 pm

Hi,
If you have the serial number of the Cub, you can figure out the year of the Cub, and then find the operator's manual for, or near, the year of Cub you have.
When you have the serial number, use the info at the top of the page at Cub Info to find the year.

Below is a page from the 1955 Cub operator's manual showing where the tractor serial number is.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-02.jpg

I would have posted the manual here, but you didn't say the year.
The operator's manuals have lots of info, the experts on here recommend people read one.

Sometimes the serial number plate is painted over by someone, and the words can't be read, or the words are faded away, or the plate is gone.
The serial number is stamped in the plate, if the plate is painted over, you can use a light and see if you can see it.
There might also be 1800 stamped in the plate, that is the maximum engine RPM, up to near the end of 1955. :)

Petermac7644

Postby Petermac7644 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:34 am

Thanks Bob.

Glen, I plan to print off as much of the info on this site as I can find. It’s a really great resource.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:45 am

Welcome to the Forum! Congrats on getting your uncle's Cub.

As Glen pointed out, there should be a serial number plate, located on the front, right side of the tractor where the steering rod connects to the front end. That number may be entered in the "What Year is My Cub?" category located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/app.php/page/cub-information

There are also casting dates on your cast iron pieces that you may cross reference here: http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_001.htm Sometimes, as older tractors get replacement parts, the casting date can differ from the original production date by several years.

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Sounds like you've already found the PDF library. Don't know if you're using a phone or desktop/laptop computer, but there are a few ways to download:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Might also enjoy reading through this thread (even though it’s for a Cub, much can be applied to any tractor just brought home): What to do with a Cub you just brought home

There are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see them.

Remember:
• When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
• Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
• When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:12 am

Petermac, welcome to the group. As Bob stated, not much, in the way of mounted implements, will interchange, however a late forum member mounted the "A" / Super"A" blade on a Cub. It required some fab. work but he got it done. Not a direct install, but if you're a guy who likes to build stuff, it can be done.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Petermac7644

Postby Petermac7644 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:32 pm

Stanton: thanks for the info. Is there a ‘what to do with a NON-running cub I just brought home’ checklist?

I last saw the machine running in 09. My uncle is pretty sure he drove it into the shed it’s currently sitting in but hasn’t run it in years. He recalled needing to get the valves unstuck at one point to get it going and he figures it needs a carburetor rebuild.

Going to try and start it tomorrow wish me luck.

Gary: do you recall the late member’s forum handle? I’d like to search for his threads on the topic.

As an alternative, I’m shopping for a used ATV plow to rig something up.

Thanks all

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:34 pm

JMHO, check to see if the engine is stuck and add some lubrication (KROIL, PB Blaster, etc.) in the cylinders through the spark plug holes, then 1. prime the oil pump. Long time sitting the oil pump can loose it's prime. 2. do a compression test on all cylinders. Open and/or sticking valves will probably not allow you to get the cub to run so that's a must. Compression should be 85-90 lbs+ or you will have problems. 3. fire to the plugs, if not solve the problems. 4. (last), check fuel delivery from the tank to the cylinders. You can spend a lot of time (and money) but if the engine is not capable of running, you're probably not going to get it to run unless you go through these steps. Good Luck! :hattip:
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:52 am

Petermac7644 wrote:Stanton: thanks for the info. Is there a ‘what to do with a NON-running cub I just brought home’ checklist?

I last saw the machine running in 09. My uncle is pretty sure he drove it into the shed it’s currently sitting in but hasn’t run it in years. He recalled needing to get the valves unstuck at one point to get it going and he figures it needs a carburetor rebuild.

Going to try and start it tomorrow wish me luck.

Gary: do you recall the late member’s forum handle? I’d like to search for his threads on the topic.

As an alternative, I’m shopping for a used ATV plow to rig something up.

Thanks all

Stan's list (above) is a start. It boils down to:
  1. Compression. Cylinder and rings have to be in good shape. An open or sticking intake/exhaust valve will defeat you if they are not closing properly. Do a dry and wet compression test.
  2. Fuel. Check state of fuel tank for debris. Check fuel bowl and clean if necessary. Disconnect fuel line at carb (don't loose the small, round inlet screen if there is one--clean it too), open fuel bowl and examine fuel flow--should be a steady stream. Carb may need attention (cleaning, checking float height, etc.). If you ever do disassemble the carb, after removing the screws from the top half, pull the top straight up about 3"-4" vertically. There's a small, brass fuel idle tube that connects to the top half and protrudes into the body of the bottom half. Many have broke that off trying to pry or twist the top off.
  3. Fire. Spark coming to the plugs have to be strong. Blue-white, if I remember, is what you're looking for.

Use the Search box (upper right of screen) to check out any topics or related words. If you can't find what you're looking for, then by all means, ask! Start a new thread over in the Cub section.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:58 am

Petermac, his name (and user name) was George Willer. He probably posted something about, I don't know. As he was a friend of mine, he showed me the set-up during a visit. He was very active on the forum so you'll have a lot to glean through and you'll possibly learn a lot, in the process.

Petermac7644

Postby Petermac7644 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:36 am

Gary I did a quick search and saw his name return over 2000 hits. He must have been quite a man and his impact on this site alone is quite a legacy. I’ll get reading

ddlebail
Zip Code: E1N6B5
Tractors Owned: :
1960 Farmall Cub
1979 Ford 1700 4X4

Postby ddlebail » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:41 am

Welcome to the Forum.
I also hail from Atlantic Canada, specifically N.B.
Which Province are you located in?
It is great to hear from a fellow Canuck on the forum!

Keep us updated on the process of getting the Cub running. The folks here love progress updates and will be more than happy to assist in any way they can!

Also we all love pictures of the process, tear-down, rebuild, or what-is-its.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:57 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Petermac, his name (and user name) was George Willer. He probably posted something about, I don't know. As he was a friend of mine, he showed me the set-up during a visit. He was very active on the forum so you'll have a lot to glean through and you'll possibly learn a lot, in the process.

George had posted a picture of the Super A blade on a Cub. Unfortunately, the picture was hosted on his site and is now gone. Here is the thread where he had posted it.
viewtopic.php?f=170&t=15708
I believe he had largely fabricated his own mounting frame that was Cub-sized but matched up with the Super A push frame.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”