This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hello from Southern Maryland

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
Nostalgic
Zip Code: 20601

Hello from Southern Maryland

Postby Nostalgic » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:09 pm

Recently inherited my fathers 1953 cub. Engine not seized, no engine block cracks that i can find. Like so many others, many fond memories of driving that cub and being the "weight" riding attachments on the back. Would be interested in knowing if anybody in the forum might be in lower end of Maryland?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hello from Southern Maryland

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:35 pm

Welcome, fellow Marylander. There have been several members join from down your way, but I don’t think any of them are currently active.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:45 pm

Hi,
The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

There is a 1952 Cub operator's manual at the top left of the page at Quick links, then go to PDF Manuals, then Farmall Cub, then Cub Owners and Operators Manuals, then the manuals are listed on the page.

The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

It shows the electrical system that a 1952, and 1953 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The Touch Control fluid recommended in the manual was changed later to Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual tells how to check or change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid level with the arms in the rear, or down position. The manual says that also.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made.

The oil pump can lose it's prime sitting, then if you run the engine, it may not suck oil up again.
Running the engine with no oil pressure can damage the engine.
Below is a link to a post I made about priming the oil pump, my post is about half way down the page. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765&start=60

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:58 am

Welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:01 am

Welcome from another Marylander. About an hour and a half North of you.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Nostalgic

Postby Nostalgic » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:59 pm

Bill, thx for the welcome and good to know there are other Marylanders.

Nostalgic

Postby Nostalgic » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:08 pm

Mike in Louisiana, Stanton, Don McCombs thank you for welcoming me to the forum. Glen thank you for detailed suggestions. I have already gone over your “prime the pump” section, good stuff and absolutely I want to minimize damaging engine/trans, by running w water and or no or low oil. My dad had converted the 53 cub to 12 volt. But it seemed like most of its life we still ended just starting it w the crank. As I just inherited this poor thing (that was my dads) from my sister while I know the history of it, I’m assuming water is in everything.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”