This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
gajoe
Zip Code: 30728
Tractors Owned: 1977 IH cub with plow, cultivators, planter and cutting harrow.
2-Tuff Bilt with disc plow, cultivators, grader blade and harrow.
John Deere 3032 with tiller.

Postby gajoe » Sat May 08, 2021 11:49 am

I have just purchased IH cub serial # 252075 which, I think, means it's a 1977 year. I found some info on this site that I think will help me rebuild the carb that's leaking.
So, I am looking forward to finding a lot of good info to keep my (new) old cub purring.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New member

Postby ntrenn » Sat May 08, 2021 1:08 pm

Welcome. After a few posts you can access the reference information on the site. I put the parts books and other items in my books on my phone. You’ll use them often.
My 63 is only about 30,000 before yours but there were tons of changes in those years.

You’ll probably find that your main carb problem will be either a leaking gasket between the upper and lower halves (gasket or stripped screws) or a leaking needle valve..either from the valve itself or from incorrect float setting.
The 63 has been the family since 1969...one gasket. No other carb parts in that time...

gajoe

Postby gajoe » Sat May 08, 2021 7:35 pm

Hey, thanks for the "welcome" hand shake. I'm sure I'll be looking for some advise and a lot that I've already picked up by reading some of the other post. Thanks again.

BSR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BSR » Sun May 09, 2021 5:52 am

Was you Lucky enough to find a RED 1977 LONGSTRIPE?

gajoe

Postby gajoe » Sun May 09, 2021 5:15 pm

no sir, it is a yellow and white and appears to be original for the most part. I'll be posting a picture later on.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon May 10, 2021 12:10 am

Hi,
The Cub operator's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the operator's manual for Cubs serial number 248125 and above. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 2.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 50.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that Cubs serial number 248125 and above originally had, with the Delco alternator.
248125 and above originally have the Zenith carburetor too.
They have said on here that IH didn't make a new manual every year.

The Touch Control and other things use Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The manual shows what fluids to use where.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

There is a search at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can search for info in posts that have been made.

There seems to be a page of the contents gone from the manual, page 2 says continued, and begins with items on page 39.
Good luck with the Cub. :)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon May 10, 2021 6:02 am

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your new-to-you Cub!

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

Don't know if you have any of the manuals to your Cub, but now that you’ve logged your 2nd post, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual (very strongly recommended) and any service manuals that interest you. Implement Manuals are also available.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Might also enjoy reading through this thread (even though it’s for a Cub, much can be applied to any tractor just brought home): What to do with a Cub you just brought home

As you may have found, there are a lot of good threads dealing with Cub repair (like carbs) and maintenance in the How To Forum. Located here: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11
When removing the top of the carb, be sure to lift it straight up for a few inches to clear the idle tube from the lower part of the carb.

Take some pictures of your tractor and post them, we’d like to see them.

Remember:
• When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
• Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
• When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon May 10, 2021 9:09 am

Welcome to the forum.