This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First time tractor owner, restoring a 1953 Super H

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
SurveyorFarmer
Zip Code: B0N2L0

First time tractor owner, restoring a 1953 Super H

Postby SurveyorFarmer » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:22 am

Hi everybody, this forum looks like a great resource for learning about my new to me Super H. I've already learned a number of useful tips just scanning the forum.
She runs and drives, and the engine sounds healthy so it should be an easier restoration than resurrecting one that doesn't budge. Main thing I'm fighting with at the moment is she is hard to start bordering on impossible unless she's set for a bit and the battery is topped up. I'm thinking there's an issue somewhere in either the battery/charging system or starter.

Had to get my neighbour to pull me up the driveway and she starts no problem if I release the clutch while she's going.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: First time tractor owner, restoring a 1953 Super H

Postby Glen » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:00 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website.

Hard starting can be caused by the engine needing a good tune up, like you had to tune up cars with ignition points and condensers, in the past.
Since it's a Super H, I suppose it has a Battery Ignition unit, not a magneto.

I would look at the points, condenser, distributor cap, and it's contacts, rotor, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. They should all be in good condition.
The points get burned over time from use. Burned points can cause hard starting.
They should have flat, shiny surfaces.
They need the gap set correctly too, using a feeler gauge.

The spark plugs could be old and fouled, that can make hard starting.

The ignition timing is important, and should be checked using a timing light. If it is wrong, the engine can start harder than it should and have less power than it should.

Below are pages showing the Battery Ignition unit, and the points and condenser.
The pages are probably easier to see looking at them on a computer with a screen bigger than a phone.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-11.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-12.jpg

Below are new points and condenser at TM Tractor, you can look at the pics.
The bottom pic on the page is a magneto for a Cub, an H used a different magneto.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/367fp.htm

They have other tune up parts there also, for the Battery Ignition unit.
TM Tractor is mostly for Cubs, the ignition wires and spark plugs are probably different for a Super H.

The spark could be weak.
Before taking it apart, you could do a spark test, remove the center wire from the distributor cap, and hold it by the insulation, with the end 1/4" away from a bare place on the engine. Put the transmission in neutral, turn the ignition switch to on, and run the starter. The spark should jump the gap, and be blue or white. Yellow is weak, and needs improving, the engine may not run.
If the spark is weak, the points or condenser could be the problem, I would replace them first, since they don't cost a lot, and need to be good.
The battery should be fully charged to do the spark test.

If it still has a weak spark after replacing them, the coil may be weak, and need replacing.

The carburetor can cause hard starting, if it is dirty inside, or partly plugged.
It may need disassembling, and cleaning. Be sure all the passages in it are open.

The tractor has a manual choke, you have to use the right amount of choke when the engine is cold, so it will start, then leave the choke on some as the engine warms up, until it warms up, so it doesn't stall.
Not all of them need the same amount of choke.

The air cleaner can cause hard starting if it is dirty and partly plugged inside.
The oil in the oil cup, at the bottom of the air cleaner, should be light, clean motor oil, and no dirt in the bottom of the oil cup.
The air cleaner may need removing and washing out with kerosene, if it is dirty up in the body of it. :)

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:54 am

Are your issues more with engine cranking? If so, scrutinize you cables and connections very carefully. If the cables are original, you might want to consider replacing them with high quality replacements. If, in the past, someone has replaced cables with generic replacements, there’s a good chance they’re too small. Condition of your starter switch is important, also. You may need to look at your starter, you need to do that during restoration, anyway. 6 volt systems require a lot of amperage to crank well and when things are not up to standard, will pull the voltage down so low that there is very little current available to the ignition system, causing very poor spark.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:13 am

Welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:19 pm

SurveyorFarmer wrote:Hi everybody, this forum looks like a great resource for learning about my new to me Super H. I've already learned a number of useful tips just scanning the forum.
She runs and drives, and the engine sounds healthy so it should be an easier restoration than resurrecting one that doesn't budge. Main thing I'm fighting with at the moment is she is hard to start bordering on impossible unless she's set for a bit and the battery is topped up. I'm thinking there's an issue somewhere in either the battery/charging system or starter.

Had to get my neighbour to pull me up the driveway and she starts no problem if I release the clutch while she's going.

Welcome to the Forum! Sorry I missed you earlier this month.

Take some time and read through a few threads to acquaint yourself with the Forum:

You didn't mention if your '53 Super H was a magneto or battery ignition. Don't know if you have any of the manuals to your Cub, but now that you’ve logged your 2nd post, you'll have access to the all the PDF Manuals on this site. There’s a few ways to do that:
  • From a desktop or laptop, go to "Quick Links" in the upper left corner of your screen. Hit that and a pull-down appears where you'll find "PDF Manuals".
  • You can also go to “Cub Info” in the upper toolbar, then hit “Rudi’s Manuals”. From there, you can access a variety of information.
  • If you're using a phone, go to the "Links Directory" (second category down the main page). Once in "Links Directory" , scroll down to the second section "Tractor Parts & Manuals" and you'll find them there.

You'll be able to download an Owner's Manual and a Parts Manuals for the H/Super H.

We’d encourage you to take the Safety Test located in the Safety Forum: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68084

Take some pictures of your tractos and post them, we’d like to see them.

Remember:
  • When you have a specific question, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.
  • Before posting, use the Preview button before hitting Submit--it'll show you exactly what your post will look like, including pictures.
  • When adding your comments to a thread, be sure to look at the date of the last poster. If it’s more than a 6 months old, the posters are probably not going to see it. Consider starting a new thread.

Glad you joined us.

:tractor:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:37 am

Welcome SurveyorFarmer
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

Return to “Introduce Yourself”