This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub owner

Post your introduction and "get to know me" information in this forum.
tim57chevy
Zip Code: 48746
Tractors Owned: I am new to the Farmall community. I recently purchased a 1947 Cub. Since they do not show a place for it my Email is tim57chevy@yahoo.com.

New Cub owner

Postby tim57chevy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:00 am

Hello. I have been a member here for a month or so but I never introduced myself. My name is Tim and I live in the thumb area of Michigan. I got the Cub because when growing up my cousins had a Farmall A and I loved to drive it. My Cub is a 1947 s/n FCUB 6862. Not an A but close enough for me. If there are any members in the local area I would love to talk sometime. :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Cub owner

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:50 pm

Welcome to the forum. Let us know if we can be of any help.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:22 pm

Millington, not too far from Saginaw. I have owed a Cub since 1980 and helped others with their Cubs. Message me if like or need a hand with something.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:05 pm

Hi,
The Cub owner's manual can help you learn about maintenance that the Cub needs.

Below is the 1947 Cub owner's manual. The experts on here recommend people read it. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication. There is a table of contents on page 1.
It shows how Cubs originally looked in it. The lube section begins on page 14.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

It shows the electrical system that a 1947 Cub originally had.
Cubs made before mid 1964 originally had 6 volt, positive ground electrical systems.

The charging system originally has a cutout, or Relay, IH called it on top of the generator, there is a pic on page 33 of the manual with the hood off, showing the electrical system.
It has a 4 position charge and light switch on the dash, to control the gen output.
It was before Cubs had voltage regulators, you had to choose the charge rate yourself.
The switch has 4 positions, L, low charge, H, high charge, D, dim front lights, and B, bright lights.
The electrical system info begins on page 32 of the manual, and using the switch is explained on page 34.
You should be able to see what it is charging on the ammeter, when the engine is running.
The engine has to be above idle speed for the gen to charge.

There is no Touch Control info in the 1947 owner's manual. It is in later owner's manuals.
The Touch Control uses Case IH Hy-Tran fluid. It is sold at Case IH dealers.
There are other brands, be sure it works with IH hydraulic systems before buying one.
The newer manuals tell how to check or change the Touch Control fluid, and remove the air from the system.
Be sure to check the fluid level with the arms in the rear, or down position. The manual says.

I would check or change all the oils before using the Cub. Using it with low oil in a gear housing can damage the parts in the housing.
There are 3 separate gear housings, with 3 separate oil levels to check, in the rear area of a Cub, the transmission, and 2 final drives.
The manual tells how to check and change the oils.

The transmissions in Cubs commonly get water in them, from rain, or condensation inside the housing over time.

The air cleaner is an oil bath air cleaner. Dirt that is sucked in settles to the bottom of the oil cup. It should have clean, light motor oil in the oil cup to work right.

The fan hub needs oil in it to lube it.
Putting oil in the fan hub is shown on page 28 of the manual.
I use a clean pump oil can to pump oil into the hub.
The hub uses motor oil.

Something sometimes not greased as often as it should be is the clutch throwout bearing, people on here have said.
It tells how on page 21, at number 28 on the page.
You have to remove the hand hole cover under the clutch area, and the grease fitting is inside the housing.
You probably need a light to see it, and have the Cub in a building, so you aren't looking up at the bright sky.
The original style throwout bearing has graphite material. They have said on here to use cheap grease, so the oil in the grease absorbs into the graphite material.

Other manuals can be found at the top of the page at Quick links, then go to PDF Manuals,
or at Cub Info, then go to Rudi's Manuals.

There is a search box at the top of the page, to the right of the Farmall Cub, you can find info in posts that have been made. :)

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:15 pm

Welcome aboard Tim, from across the pond :hattip:

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:27 am

Tim, welcome to the forum.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:15 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Pap
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 38401
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub ( Err Err )
I could not say tractor when I was 2 years old so I called it Err Err.

I loved this tractor then and I still love it now.

Postby Pap » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:30 am

Welcome to the forum Tim.
Are We Having Fun Yet ? :D
'47 cub ( Err Err )

Return to “Introduce Yourself”