This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How to Build a Battery Box

Tips and tricks on repairs to your Cub’s structure.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

How to Build a Battery Box

Postby Stanton » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Finished my battery box project for Nellie ('47 Circle Cub) this weekend. It was a fun and rewarding project.

Here's some pictures:

Started with the old battery box from my '48 Cub. It's a little ragged, but complete. This is what I used for the model; the brake is also shown:

006.JPG

First thing was to make a decision about the base. I could not form/shape/mold the base of the box like the original, but needed to come up with a way to keep the overall size and look of the original. Decided to use a flat piece of sheet metal for the inside base with access holes leading to two runners. This would allow the bolt heads to be recessed and keep the looks of the box on the outside. Here's the layout of the runners:

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

Next was the bottom, inside plate:

013.JPG

015.JPG

Had to slope the ends to mimick the original:

017.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

Now for the base:

021.JPG

022.JPG

You can see it taking shape:

023.JPG

Here, with all the sides bent:

024.JPG

Next, drill out the access holes:

025.JPG

Runners are ready to be welded in place:

026.JPG

Cut and bent the lid and rear light holders for the back of the box, the front, and the sides. New ones are just laying on the old box on the left:

029.JPG

043.JPG

The hardest was the top. It had to fit tight, but not too tight, encompassing the sides and front. Here's how that went:

045.JPG

Layed out my lines then made a little extra cut in the corner:

046.JPG

Bent the two sides, then had to use the bench vise to hold and bend the back and front (wouldn't fit in the metal brake):

047.JPG

With a little adjustment and patience, the pieces are all done and welded:

048.JPG

Took the seat post and differential shaft housing, bolted in the new box and new toolbox to see how they fit. Believe it's gonna work (oh yeah, had some sheet metal left over so made a couple PTO shields):

049.JPG

050.JPG
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Frame/Sheet Metal”